John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a Bx22 compact tractor that was not run for about 2

Customer Question

I have a Bx22 compact tractor that was not run for about 2 years. I live in Myrtle beach and got it out to use for clean up during hurricane Mathew. It blew a hose going to the loader after a couple of hours so i went and got a replacement. It lost some hydraulic fluid and I wasnt sure exactly how much and could not locate the reservoir so I called someone that supposedly knew where it was. I sent them a pic of under the seat and they told me that it was the small red plug. I added a little bit at a time thinking it was the right place only to find out later that it was actually the VENT PLUG. Anyway, it blew 2 more hoses going to the loader after that and then 1 or 2 going to the steering wheel. I feel like an idiot and havent called the Kubota dealer yet but it looks like the steering hoses are going to be tough one's to get to. I guess my question is how much if any damage was done by putting the fluid into the vent ? Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: OK
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just would like to know how much damage I did by putting the fluid in the vent if any.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  John Oliver replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** damage should have occured because the vent is just an open space for air to excape from the resevoir. what i would be more worried about would be all these blown hoses you are accuring. my first thought is that your pump output has gotten out of adjustment. i would for sure have the dealer do a pressure test on this thing

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks ... I kinda thought that the fluid poured into the vent would eventually have to find its way to the resevoir. I was also told that letting it sit unused for a couple of years could be the reason for the hoses blowing but I will get it to the dealer.

its possible that it's the cause but unless these hoses are super weathered they shouldn't be doing that. i would sooner say that there is a valve stuck and the hydraulic pressures are going above the rated spec for the system