Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Problem with my shuttle shiftier on a kioti dk40se 4x4 it

Customer Question

problem with my shuttle shiftier on a kioti dk40se 4x4 it getting very hard to shift as time goes on it a 2008
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: kioti dk40se ft #gt6400027
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes ,and there is a linking ed below the universal joint i think that is cousing the trouble
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the hours on the tractor is 835
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: ok
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Very likely it is the linkage, go direct to the shaft going into the shuttle, and remove the linkage and work the shaft manually, if it shifts easy, you know the linkage has t be problem, check leakage and free up where it is binding. Many newer tractors use a cable and the cable will be the problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok

Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have check and remove the linkage in the transmission it shift ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have set the linkage in difference position and it did help some but after awhile ,it get hard to shift again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the linkage never stay at the same spot i set it ,it keep moving

Have you greased the linkage with a good spray lithium based greased. The linkage in the transmission should have a detent position , that holds it in place.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you know what type of linkage i am talking about,it a u shape piece about 2 inchs long and about 7/8 in wide and 2 bolts and nuts goes trough it,and it is between the universal an the shaft rod that goes in the transmision,,an also use white grease

You sure the universal joint is not causing the problem?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have a manual and it show a difference system,it doesn't show that type of linkage,it only show a universal joint
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am sure i toke it apart
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
an it is fine .i did not change any thing

If transmission shifts fine at the transmission, the linkage has to be causing the binding. Something is changing, if it is getting worse. Wear or adjustment.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have taken a picture of the linkage to a dealer and they never saw that type
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also on the computer and never saw it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am pretty sure is the linkage,the question is,is there a way to adjusted that linkage

!! Welcome to Kioti. They don't even know what they put in it. Can you remove the ujoint section and flip it over?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no way to turn that around ,i wish i could send a picture of it ,you would se that is is imposible, and also you see what type of linkage i am talking about
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that linkage is about 1 in under the universal joint ,and it is bolted to the shaft that come from the tranmision

Can the u shaped pieced be left loose, using self locking nut/ so it can move a little?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did that many time ,it been over a year that going on, i use new lock nut and also red lock tight ,it did help a little and back to square one.

Without ordering the setup that tractor shows, I don't know what else you could do!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what type of set up???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the worst is in the winter,i use the snow blower a couple hours each storm an there is a lot of back and forth,a lot of shuttle shifting

I will opt out, and see if anyone else has seen this, sorry.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
an i also have a glow plugs problem only when it come around 0 degree Celsius they want work??????
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to help. You can upload a picture of the linkage by uploading it to the paperclip or attachment icon above the chat box. Also i recommend checking the oil for discoloration and metal/debris that would indicate a failure occurring as well as the screen/filter. Let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is no problem in the transmission, i remove the linkage below the universal joint and toke a small 4 in adjustable wrench on the flat surface where the linkage bolt on and the shuttle shift perfectly reverse to forward
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is a picture of the linkage.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the photo. Check for any play in the universal joints as a slight amount of play there will make a lot of difference on the other end. replace or repair any loose or worn linkage. I see the coupling there with the two bolts. It looks like it is adjustable for length if I am not mistaken. Let me know

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i remove the whole shiftier arm up to the arm that goes to the transmission,toke the u joint apart s
and no rest there was grease in the cup bearing and after i put it back together, no play same before i toke it apart,and i also notice that there was and adjustment and i try many time on difference adjustment it did help but very little,i have been at this for over a years,with very little success,i am a very good back yard mechanic,never came across something like this,i am a jack of all trade and master of 4 with paper
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am waiting?????????????
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hi Experts are not employees of the site. I have not found any new information as of yet. I help in between jobs as time allows. I have seen your response but the reason I have not replied yet is that if I do such as now your question then leaves the customer waiting status and could get lost and drop off my list which I was trying to avoid. Experts time is initially voluntary and we only get credit from the site for positive feedback and accepted answers. Please post back so your reply puts this back in waiting status and I will follow up once I have more information.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved? just wanted to check in and let you know I have not given up or forgotten about you. As you know this is tough to get technical information for but I am still trying for you.