Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

JD 5525 2800hrs. Pwr rev/fwd engaging aft cycling clutch…

JD 5525 2800hrs. Pwr rev/fwd...
JD 5525 2800hrs. Pwr rev/fwd engaging aft cycling clutch only-then kept dropping into neutralDiscovered that it would hold in gear if I held clutch pedal in a bit?? Got home & pulled cowl over dash of & found blue wire hanging on little clutch pedal switch( earth??)Ended up stirring a hornets nest- power to dash then no start then relays clicking & now now power to dash at all. Checked all fuses & connections to relay/battery..........started out small prob -turning int a big fkn prob- no one @ dealers answering- need it urgently for fencing.........................................
12/30/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Rob, My name is***** sure you tested the fuses with a test light or volt meter for power on both sides with the key on. Test the battery and battery to starter connections including all grounds. Try swapping relays one at a time for test purpose with a known good one. Check for metal/debris in the transmission case and drain oil that would indicate an internal problem occurring. Let me know

Dan, Technician
Phone call session started

Hi Rob. It seems there is a problem connecting by phone due to the international calling but we can post back and forth here as needed.

Gday Dan,
1.30 pm NY eve here in Queensland Australia.Our ph is (country code& qld area code)
+617 46257321 Have spent another day on this tractor & not getting power to key or the dash lights &led read out.The light switch works & the hour meter only displays when lights turned on.We pulled steering wheel off to expose the fwd/rev module but sealed & no way to tell....looks ok There is a start switch that activates the starter motor when bridged out. Being an open canopy- the main fuses probably need a test light across the pin holes to check for corrosion/bad contact............................................Will keep trying a few things- do you have access to a wiring diagram as I think there must be an over ride in play ????Regards,
Rob Moore

Thanks for the update. There is a neutral safety switch and clutch switch that can prevent starting. Also check for a seat switch. Do continuity checks on these switches and try a jumper wire for test purposes only. I do not believe I have a wiring diagram but I will check for you.

Starter inoperative

Gear shift lever not in PARK.

Move lever to PARK.

PowrReverser™ Transmission: EH directional reverser lever in forward or reverse.

Move lever to NEUTRAL.

Mechanical PTO lever engaged.

Disengage PTO.

Low battery output.

See your John Deere dealer.

Blown fuse.

Replace fuse.

Entire electrical system does not function

Faulty battery connections.

Clean and tighten connections.

Sulfated or worn-out battery.

Check electrolyte level and specific gravity.

Blown fuse.

Replace fuse.

Relay(s) sticking or nonfunctional; repeated failures

Diode to protect circuit from arcing has failed.

See your John Deere dealer.

All fuses clean & power to one side of those that count No power to key. All of the above satisfied & checked. When the dash was lighting up & trying the starter -I could hear a relay clicking but hard to isolate sound..............Guess it is take it dealer time.............You would know where to get a wiring diagram from John Deere-I wonder could you download & send it to me .It is a JD 5525 91hp straddlemount open ca FEL. This would give me a roadmap as it is a pretty low tech/optioned machine.We are 3hrs by road from nearest dealer7 want to be sure they have relays etc on hand before I take it in.

Thanks for the update. I was away for the long holiday weekend. I do not have the service book diagrams for this one but let me see if I can come up with some options or sources for you besides the dealer.

Click on this link for an option of all your manuals on a CD to be able to access an print out anything you need,

Manual

G,day Dan,
Spoke to Dealer/workshop manager yesterday & he is pretty sure it is the clutch: neutral switch :relay =original problem that is killing power to the key. Is going to look @ schematics & post me the parts(ex Melbourne). This would be worth a try without taking it in . Will keep that Manual link- have you seen detail in them - would they be clear enough on a problem like this??
I can problem solve most things but electrics is my weakspot.. Run the card through as you have done what you could(obviously not for the call that I approved).Didn't realise how much I depend on this little tractor- What is the new model equivalent of this one?
Regards,
Rob Moore

Thanks for the update Rob. I have not seen what is in that link unfortunately but it is the OEM manuals so they would be complete and the same information the dealers use.