Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a Deere 1070 tractor I bought new 25 years ago with

Customer Question

Hello, I have a John Deere 1070 tractor I bought new 25 years ago with approx 275 hours. After sitting for 2 weeks, I'm have the following problem.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Hello, I have a John Deere 1070 tractor I bought new 25 years ago with approx 275 hours. After sitting for 2 weeks, it will not start. I have a fully charged battery, but when I try to engage the starter, nothing happens. There is no clicking, so I don't think it is a starter problem. All fuses are intact. Checking the neutral safety switch, I jiggled the gear shift and PTO arm while turning the key. With the same result. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Dean, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. using a test light or volt meter test for power at the small S terminal of the starter solenoid with the switch in the cranking position. If there is power with a good tested battery and connections including grounds then the starter is bad. If no power then test the safety switches for continuity with an OHM meter and the wiring harness. Also do a visual inspection for damage or corrosion. Let me know