Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Gday i have a ford 8970

Customer Question
gday dan i have a ford...
gday dan
i have a ford 8970
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has transmissions issues. it does not go very fast in reverse, it kind of slips. i got a technician out to my farm, but he could not calibrate it. they took the tractor away to the shop. the technician told me the tranny is stuffed and at a cost of $20,000 they could rebuilt it as the tractor has 12,000 hours on it. but who knows if it has already been rebuilt! anyway they sent me the bill for $2600, which included the field call out , a axle speed sensor and labour. sounds very excessive. also they said they carried out pressure testing on the transmission, and they diagnosed and internal failure! now the tractor drive find in forward gears, but is jolty between 4th and 5th i think, but i think this is the axle speed sendsor they replaced.
in the time it has been at the shop i manged to source a workshop manual. in tat, on pages 21-11 to 21-14 it has a comprehensive transmission test sheet, which requires values be placed in to the sheet such as low pressure circuit relief pressure , mc1 and 2 filter screen damaged etc,
they told me trany has to come out but i told them i will just drive it in forward with no reverse. my question to you, as they are a new hollland dealer, dont you think they should fill this sheet in so we can have a better idea of what is wrong? if it was a pump issue then the tractor would slip in forward as well? maybe its a pressure relief valve or something? to pull the trany out is a huge job but i have a feeling they dont know what they are doing. what do you think? david
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please email me as im off to bed, thanks david
Answered in 5 days by:
11/14/2016
Mechanic: Jeremy, Diesel Technician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Diesel Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I don't normally work on these, but I can give it a shot if you'd like. Did you still need assistanve with this? Did you want me to try or do you prefer to wait on a tech that knows these pretty well?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician