Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

On my Ford 2000 tractor - gas / 3 cylinder, the governor

Customer Question

On my Ford 2000 tractor - gas / 3 cylinder, the governor override spring broke.
I found the correct part in the New Holland / Ford parts listing, ordered it and when it arrived compared it to the broken unit - it is the correct part.
One end of the spring attached to the throttle / governor linkage, basically behind the carborator.
I know this because part of the broken spring was still attached as indicated in the parts diagram, when I found it, the other half was on the ground.
The parts diagram does not show where the other end of the spring attaches to the tractor.
Because of the location behind the carborator, distributor and frontend loader frame, I cannot locate where the other end of the spring attaches.
I have found a Ford 2000 - 7000 Service and Repair manual but changing this spring is not referenced in it.
What does this spring attach to? Without some indication of what and where it attached, we are working in the dark trying to find the attachment point.
Thanks,
Kip
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all I can think of.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Can you attach picture? What is number of spring? 'm sure you have looked at all these, but is your spring shown in this link?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ford / New Holland part number is ***** Approx 5 inches long (end to end). Fairly heavy, I cannot stretch it by hand. No, not really looking like your example document, however can be seen on online at the New Holland Agriculture parts diagrams under Ford 2000 series, 3 cyl, throttle controls, item # 24 in the diagram. Fits 2000, 3000 and 4000 - years 65 - 68. This is the web page I used to find & order the spring.
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr64888ar496539Thanks, Kip

# 16 is the governor end, isn't it? That is where spring attaches. Other to carburetor.

eye in the end of the lever??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
one end in #16. That is the end that I know / understand. That connection was intact when I found the broken spring. The other end cannot go directly to the carburetor (I believe) because the carb is located further to the outside of the tractor - as the diagram shows items 30, 29, 28, etc placed to the right of the spring and item #16 (not in a line that the spring could pull) - where the diagram says Carburetor Assemply.

spring has to attach to the throttle linkage of the carburetor, on the inside, between carb and block. It has to be able to control the throttle, through the governor. ??????

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Item # 16 connects the hand throttle lever to the rest of the linkage that goes to the carb. It is attached to the block via bolt # 21 and pivots on that bolt. When spring # 24 attached to that arm # 16, it can cause arm # 16 to move and through arms # 25 & # 27 cause the carb to have more / less fuel. I am unclear as to what point the other end of spring # 24 attaches. Are you saying that there are 3 attachments on the carb - throttle rod (item # 27), choke cable, and the end of this spring? Sorry to be so confused.

Yes, the governor has to be connected to the throttle side, or it has no function.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
O.K., thanks, my mechanic should be back tomorrow and we will see what we can find. Hopefully can get this beast back running. Will let you know or ask for additional info. Thanks, Kip

oK> Thanks.

Did you get it going?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry to report - no not yet. Mech has not made it back over to continue repairs yet.