Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Kubota L3240 shut down for nor reason 550 hours. Ingition

Customer Question

Kubota L3240 shut down for nor reason 550 hours. Ingition swithch will not turn engine over solenoid will
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 50948
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: safety sensor on PTO & seat
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

You have lost power to the keyswitch and glow pug. Have you checked all the fuses, including the big fuses under the hood, out front? Power for key comes through the fuses, from the posiitve side of the starter solenoid. Use a voltmeter or test light, to see where power is lost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Curtis. I can tell you that when you turn the key on, instrument lights appear. Also, it will spin by jumping the solenoid (sp) Sorry, I had a business call.

Do glow plugs come on? If they do, then it likely is a safety switch, either seat or pto switch. Are both pto levers in neutral?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No need to call. Please continue any questions you may have
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it is a seat safety switch. (Wild guess) It was moving at idle speed when it shut down. How do I check safety switches on seat?

Physical check of the switch and ohm meter test to see if the switch is working.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have shuttle PTO neutral scrolling. Does this mean anything to you?

?? pto lights on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PTO light is on.

Has to be on for start? Or off?

should be off. If you wiggle the pto lever, will light go off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have manually moved the PTO lever as if the cable could be stretched. Turned the PTO switch from one position to the other numerous times and no change.

do you just have one pto lever?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no mid-mount pto that never gets used?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure. I would think I would have noticed. If I am in the seat, can you tell me where to look? Or do you have a pic?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should the tractor have cranked with the key in the on position, when I jumped the solenoid?

I would have thought it might have started, but if there was power to the kill solenoid, it would not. The key is the pto light is on, and should not be. I see just the one pto, controlled by the lever and cable, need to find the pto switch and see if it is working. Has to be at lever end, or the transmission end of cable.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is on the lever end
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The PTO shaft does turn freely

Is the switch being pushed by the linage? Are the wires tight and not damaged?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no wire damage. Please explain step by step how to test PTO switch. I have an eletrician friend that will check it. I assume he should know. Let's make sure. LOL
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Curtis, are you still with me? I know about as much about a computer as a kill switch on a Kubota tractor.

you want to check continuity of the switch. I may be a two position switch. The electrician wii know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I pay you and how do I contact you if I have additional questions?

Has no computer, just a operator presen relay. But the pto light is why it is not cranking.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was joking about the computer knowledge I have on this one we are communicating.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not remembering another larger light ever coming on below the PTO dash light. Would you know what this light represents? It could have always been on, just never noticed it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is directly below PTO light and left of battery light.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can send you a pic if you give me an email or phone # of the dash lights?

All I have is access to parts manual. It would be in operators manual. Would you have manual that came with tractor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still with me Curtis?

Yes, would you have owners manual?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't think I have the the manual. How do I enter an amount to pay you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only thing we learned is that the PTO light should NOT come on when you turn the key on. This is a start.

I found a manual , you will have to download it, page 15 shows the dash display. It is the PDF first manual listed in this link below.

You just have to use the rating system to close and get me any credit.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Engine oil pressure is the other light. I hope it has always come on when I turn the key on, and I just never noticed it.

!! check the oil, but I suspect it is always on before start!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help. I assume I will be questioned about what payment I desire to pay when I close the page?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oil level is okay. Thanks

Thank you.

need a rating from the 5 star rating system to get credit. Thanks.