Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I cannot get my Deere/ Scotts S2546 into gear. With engine

Customer Question
I cannot get my John...
I cannot get my John Deere/ Scotts S2546 into gear. With engine off transmission lever will freely move. The authorized JD dealer replaced seat switch a month ago and serviced the tractor completely. I took the harness of the switch and jumped the harness. Engine will crank and run. However I cannot get it in gear and or activate PTO lever.
Enabling PTO lever will kill the engine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
10/11/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

Engine runs. But will not drive? Has either of the rear wheels been off the unit , where the axle key could have been lost? Is the pulley on top of the transmission turning when he engine is on? Will the mower roll in freewheel or neutral/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shaft key has been replaced 2 months ago. Mower will not move in freewheel or neutral. Cannot see pulley on top of transmission. Where to look?

Mower will not roll? Brakes locked? To see the top pulley on the transmission, look up under the rear fender. With tactor not rolling, I suspect brake is locked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm checking it out. Where do I have to look for under the fender?

You just have to look up from behind the rear wheel so you can get a glimpse of the belt and pulley. Here is link to parts list.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But belt and pulley are under mower deck

Tractor has two belts, upper one is the transmission drive belt, lower belt is the deck drive belt. Did you see the link I sent showing the transmission belt?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw the link
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Went back to mower. With PTO lever engaged the belt looks tight.
When I disengage PTO belt is loose
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PTO lever disengaged the belt looks loose and sloppy

PTO lever and belt have nothing to do with the drive belt!

You are looking at the wring belt!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, what should I look for, looking for the drive belt?

See the attached link above, showing a similar Scotts drive belt.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But when I engage PTO lever the belt is stretching

I feel we are not connecting! Your pto has nothing to do with the drive, Drive and deck are completely different functions and both have there own belt, ????

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to study the diagrams and photos in order to understand. And lay down to compare

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I contact you later to report my findings

Yes, please, use the email link to get back!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is the conclusion after I check the drive belt.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What could be wrong with the drive belt. The authorized dealer checked it 2 months ago

Tractor does not drive, if belt is off or loose, it will not drive the transmission. I mentioned axle keys earlier and you said they where replaced before? They could be sheared, if either fails, tractor does not drive.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which means the transmission lever does not move
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Transmissions lever moves when engine is off

Yes, I think you have belt off a pulley or broken/ If transmission pulley was turning the f/r control would be easy to move.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I'm going to digest this conversation and check out the drive belt

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked the pulley with the engine on. The pulley and belt are turning.
You suspect brake is locked. Q. How to unlock brake?

Brake is internal to the transmission on this Scotts model. If losing the brake rod gong to the transmission and tapping on the brake, does not free the brake, the transmission has to be removed and disassembled to repair!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I pull the freewheel handle on the back I can move the mower. It must be a safety lock circuit problem with one of the switches. My seat switch is new and is working. So which switch is the problem?

I don't see a safety switch keeping the transmission from pulling. You are thinking ahead and not looking at the source of the real problem. If safety switch was problem. either engine would not start, or it would die when you let brake clutch off/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I let the brake clutch off the engine dies.

Ok, I see I have wasted time today, as now your story has changed again. I will opt out, and see if someone else will step in and try to help. Please do not respond to me, or it will lock your question.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician