Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1998 Massey Ferguson 1235 Tractor. It has been

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Massey Ferguson 1235 Tractor. It has been working fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I was mowing the lawn with the 1998 Massey Ferguson 1235. I stopped and when I went to move the tractor will not move forward or reverse it has a hydrostatic transmission. I took it out of gear, tried other ranges, took it in and out of***** It does not move. The engine is running great, PTO is fine, the loader and rear mower can be raised and lowered. I have had all the filters and fluids maintained. I was using it in four wheel drive when I was mowing. What do you think it is? Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has about 2700 hours on it.

9/24/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hi,let's see if we can work together to get to the root of your problem! will try my best to help!

No noise ? How does the clutch pedal feel? The hydrostat is driven by the clutch docs on the flywheel. The hydraulic pump is driven off the engine, so it seems the transmission is not being driven by the engine! Look for any kind of hole or cover on the clutch housing , that you can peek through to see if the clutch shaft is turning from the flywheel. There is also a coupler on the front of the hydrostat that can be broken or stripped, it is driven by the shaft off the clutch disc.

Curtis,
Thank you for the response. There is no noise and the forward \ reverse pedal does not have much resistence in either direction. I checked underneath the tractor to see if a pin or spring fell off. I did not find anything. If it is a clutch, is this an expensive repair when done at a shop?

Is the f/r pedal linkage moving the shaft going in to the transmission housing? If it is, then hydrostat is not working, and likely it is not turning. And to get to the clutch and the coupler for the hydrostat , the tractor has to be split! At a shop figure at least $1000

I checked under the tractor and everything seems to be working. I think it may be the clutch and coupler.
I will bring it to a shop to get an estimate. I had the clutch replaced in 2009 and it was $1,700 with labor freight and parts.
Since then it has been working well. I have used the tractor to plow snow, mow the lawn and lift logs with forks on the bucket.
A good amount of the time I use the four wheel drive. I am careful and don't abuse the machine. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this normal wear and tear? The tractor is 18 years old.

Sounds like it can be the coupler and not the clutch! If you don't abuse it , it would not fail suddenly. Thanks

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis, Thank you for your help. Now I have a plan. Have a great day. Ed

Thanks!