Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

My JD 790 heat gauge is pegging but the engine doesn't seem

Customer Question

Hi. My JD 790 heat gauge is pegging but the engine doesn't seem to be overheating? I tried to drain the coolant following directions but the recovery tank didnt drain. Could there be a blockage? Thermostat or water pump bad?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 months ago.

790 compact tractor or ???

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I think I solved the problem. Tractor temp is fine while operating. I turn the engine off to take a break. When I turn it back on again the temp gauge is pegging...I guess because the coolant and fan have stopped for awhile and the engine is already hot from prior operation. So I start operating again and temp gauge goes down to normal after 10-15 minutes. Just never noticed it before.

As long as it does not get hot when operating, it would seem to be normal. I assume it does not blow coolant out when parked?