Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

My 2520 Deere blew Hydraulic fluid all over the ground last

Customer Question
my 2520 John Deere blew...
my 2520 John Deere blew Hydraulic fluid all over the ground last night. IT is coming out from under the seat -- from a ~1/2" orifice-- is there a seal or over pressure disc there? does not look like a valve or a line
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/18/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

There is a vent pipe #3 in the picture attached, on top of the three point. But for oil to come out vent, the fluid would have to be overfilled, or being aerated by air in the oil. Cause would be the hydraulic pump sucking air.?? I'm looking at the 2520 Compact tractor, not the older 2520 row crop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is the newer compact tractor. and I don't believe it was the vent as it continued to drain after the tractor shut off and it was on the housing I saw the hole not off a tube as shown.... is there an over pressure protection. it is more looking like the # ***** listed in the drawing but not sure diameter of that-- my pointer finger fit in the hole where I saw the hydraulics leak out-- I lost all steering as well so I am sure my hydraulics are completely drained

Sounds more like the aeration to me, the housing should never be full of oil that would come out the top vent. With the steering also being lost, air in the system is a real possibility.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again since it did NOT come from the top of the housing but the side by the left hand tire on the housing itself and continued to drain even after the tractor shut off which a vent would not do. Is that an over pressure protection? did I lose a bolt/ gasket or did I blow a seal do you have better drawings to show me that section. And yes I expected the lose of steering once my hydraulics was drained by this hole.

go to the deere site link above and put in the 2320 model number. Pick the compact tractor. Go to sectional index/

Look at power train, transmission housing and rear axle. See if you can identify source of the leak.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so I have been there and best picture is the one you provided but still doesn't answer my questions. As stated before in the picture you sent it looks like #5 but I cant be sure. I would call you but am at work so multi tasking here and answering during break. Can you get a picture of the back left of this hydraulic housing?

No, that is all I have to go by.

What did you find?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician