Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Deere Z445 won't start. Not even a "click". Just had battery…

John Deere Z445 won't start...
John Deere Z445 won't start. Not even a "click". Just had battery tested, it is
good. Fuses are all good. Owner's manual says could be a defective key switch,
but how do I know? Maybe solenoid? starter" spark plugs"?
7/17/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Does the fuel solenoid in the carburetor click when you turn key on? If not, you have no voltage to the key switch. Did you check fuses with meter to see that voltage is past the fuses, as the power to key comes direct from the fuse. If keyswitch does have battery voltage, then likley you have an arm switch not making contact! If you follow the posiitve battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump from the battery terminal, to the single switch wire, on the same solenoid, the engine should spin, if it does, battery cables and starter and solenoid are good!

OK, so if (1) no clicking, and (2) fuses are good, then
sounds like a defective key switch--Is this a probable cause
of my problem?
Thank you, Curtis!

I would check for voltage at the keyswitch. and more likley a safety switch than key switch. Though it can be keyswitch!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician