Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

How to I take out the current steering gear bushings? I

How to I take out...
How to I take out the current steering gear bushings? I can't remove the snap clip that holds each. I also noticed that the two bushing's have been replaced by a plastic bushing and just need info if that is installed differently
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/16/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Make and model?

John Deere G110

If you remove the nut # ***** on the lower end of th shaft, you should be able to pull the shaft out of the housing and get it n the bench to work on the snap ring removal. ????

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/PU01/PU01534________UN22FEB09.gif

The bushing is not on the shaft it is on part of the tractor frame.

So you need the lower bushing out, and you can't use a flat tip screwdriver to tap the snap ring out?

That is correct. The diagram is very different from what exists. There are in fact to bushings (shown as #13). The lower #13 is seated on the frame(large hole and the snap ring sits on top of the hole. The upper #13, sits on the frame, about 2" higher and is shown very different from the diagram. This issue is, it is hard to get up into the area of the snap rings.

Snap rings are not true circle rings, so all it takes is to push on the ends to get them off. I know that does not help, and it is a pain to get at. But other than more disassembly, removing the cross piece from the frame, that is all you can do!

Agree, it is horseshoe shape is very thin. Due to where it's located and I am unable to get the flat head screwdiriver between the clip. Thanks for trying.

OK>

Thanks Curtis. I did take out the steering rod via the steering wheel and removed the battery to get better access. I even put the tractor up on a ramp to try and get to the snap rings from underneath. Still can't see the snap ring and can only attempt to take it off via 'feel'. I am going to the local John Deere store tomorrow and get any suggestions short of having them do it.

OK> let me know what they say. thanks

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician