Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1961 deere 2010 tractor. I have changed the fluid

Customer Question

I have a 1961 John deere 2010 tractor. I have changed the fluid and cleaned the filter. When I put the filter back in I have no powersteering and no hydraulics in the back. When I take the filter out the powersteering and the hydraulics come back. I have split the tractor and had the pump looked at it and it was fine. Can you help me
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

did you send the pump out to have disassembled and checked

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had it looked at by a mechanic that works for wagner and does this every day for a living
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said if we take the filter out everything works fine, once we put the filter in which has been cleaned out, everything quits working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that

Yes that is puzzling ,

I will opt-out and put back to the board for another expert,

sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok do I just wait for him or her?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

HI

Yes , the experts come and go all day long

in the mean time , I am going to research this more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to leave to go to town, can I just leave this site up so someone can answer my questions to my problem?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

HI

Just found this

Have you checked the pump's intake screen located behind a 3-bolt cover on the middle RH side of the tractor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the same bolt that you fill the transmission with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had read about this screen on one of the forums but so far have not been able to locate it on the tractor.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I think this may be your issue

I have not given up on your question

and doing a lot of research, more then most questions

do you see any 3 bolt cover right hand side ??

I will keep looking

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Here is another from the AG form

still saying about the screen 3 bolt cover

If those things check out and there's NO hydraulics whatever it would seem something has happened to the pump. The pump is located up inside the clutch housing. After draining the transmission of oil and disconnecting the power steering feed line, the pump can be dropped out the bottom of the clutch housing. There are several longer bolts (3, IIRC) that pass through the pump and secure it in place, basically every other bolt, the others are shorter and only hold the sections of the pump together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auctually the only way to get to the pump is split the tractor which we have done. The three bolt cover is to the filter and we have removed and cleaned the filter so that you can shine a flashlight inside it and it is spotless. Again when we remove the filter or what they are calling a screen the hydraulics work, when we put the filter back in they quit. The pump was completely disassembled and checked out in great condition. If the pump wasn't working properly than why would it work when the filter is out but when the filter is put back in everything quits working. We can't figure out why, pressure changes is what I thought. There is a solid sleeve that is inside the housing where the filter goes. We thought about pulling it, (held in placed by one bolt) but not sure if this would do anything since it is solid and again the hydrualics work when the filter is out.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Well thank you for all that

this is very interesting

with out a doubt filter installed , there is restriction of some sort

with out being there , it is hard for me to say

keep me posted , I will continue to research

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This is the filter you have had out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the same filter we have had out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

leave it out, you didn't find any debris in it did you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tractor had been sitting for years at a client's house and he gave it to us. Once we got it up and running, we had intermittent hydraulics in the back. We did have it the front and also in the power steering. One day when we were bush hogging the hydraulics in the back quit. We decided to change the fluid and check the filter. The fluid was pretty bad, milky, we suspected water.When we cleaned the filter and put it back in then we lost our power steering and still no back hydraulics. We had the tractor split and the pump checked, pump was fine. When we put the tractor back, we put in new fluid again, and rechecked the filter. Same result, no filter, hydraulics and power steering works, put filter in loose everything. We put a gasket on the back part of the tractor where the water was leaking in to fix that problem. The filter was gunky with the white milky oil when we first took it out, but no metal traces. The times we have taken it out since then it has been clean. We thought about leaving it out but I have read on other forums that they don't recommend it, There would be nothing to catch any debris. Leaving it out still doesn't tell us what is causing the problem. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did have full hydraulics in both front and back, once we changed the fluid and took the filter out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Only thing the filter does , is add resistance to the suction side of the pump. The pumps suction side seems to be lacking in enough vacuum to continue to work correctly when the filter is added. Only other thing in the hydraulic system is the OIL PRESSURE REGULATING FLOW CONTROL VALVE

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Seems unlikely it would cause a problem with or without the filter. My thought is the pump has more wear than thought, and is incapable of handling the extra load of the filter. I would not hesitate to remove it! There are a lot of old tractors out there with no filter installed,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis, can you tell me where this is located, we can't seem to find anything that resembles this on the tractor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I thought it was on the three point housing!