Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

1982 model 255 Massey Ferguson tractor. Is there some lever

Customer Question

1982 model 255 Massey Ferguson tractor. Is there some lever I engaged by accident that would stop my tractor from moving I can push in the clutch and put it in gear and it won't move,this happened all of a sudden after I took off the bus hog and put on box grater the clutch was working perfect no slipping nothing,is there a lever for towing or something that would stop the tranny from engaging when pulling tractor.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

no, tractor has no disconnect! Are the gears moving in the transmission? if you change gears without pushing in clutch, do the gears grind? Does clutch feel any different?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the gears aren't grinding and the clutch feels the same, I had just cut about an acre of grass and changed implements it wouldn't move after implement change
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Seems odd that clutch would just stop working, but if the gears are not turning, the input shaft that is driven by the clutch spline can be stripped out! Do you see any shafts turning in transmission with cover off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I checked for was that the tractor was actually shifting so all I seen was the gears moving front to back with the shifter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any adjustments for the clutch that I can try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Without breaking the tractor in 2
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check the transmission shafts, and if you see the input shaft turning, clutch is ok, If not clutch is out. If not the clutch you may have something going on with the rear end or a broken axle shaft, but the gears would be grinding if you tried to shift with engine running and clutch not pushed in.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have free travel in the clutch linkage? That is the only adjustment. If it has free travel, it should engage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sounds so much like a clutch going bad but I've never had one go out without slipping or grinding the gears first.and why would the pro still engage and disengage with a bad clutch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pto
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Pto still works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the gears aren't grinding when I engage it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Tractor has an axle lock. Could you have had it in lock position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my thought but I don't know we're it's located on this tractor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the axle loc to make it pull with both back wheels sort of like posi traction
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, axle lock acts as positrack. Would be a pedal or lever on the deck close to the rear axle. If it has been running in axle lock, and now is out, you can have a broken axle shaft, Can you raise the rear of the tractor and turn one wheel, manually, the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. If not, you have axle broken or differential problem.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

with a broken axle, putting it in axle lock, would let it drive on the one good axle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of this ocoured when I put on the box grater
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to have to go get a bigger jack today to lift it this is a very large tractor
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Axle lock shows to be a pedal on the right side of the tractor, attached to the rear housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that would snap the input shaft
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I have to run, dr appointment, be back in about two hours!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you for your. Time I'll locate the loc petal and if it's not engaged I'll lift it and try what you say and turn the wheels,thanks for the info.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Back home, let me know what you find!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I see question is still open. Did you find problem?