Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

5445, battery drain, jump start with 200 amp charger at jump

Customer Question

5445, battery drain, jump start with 200 amp charger at jump post at starter. Started and let run for 1 hour, shut off. Restart 2 hours later, jump again and NO start. Blows 30 amp fuse on electronics fuse. Disconnected alternator, still blows fuse. Disconnected upper multi pin connector at computer, Stops blowing fuse. Note: blows fuse without turning key, history, 777 hours garage kept, has been drawing battery down last few months. Interstate battery 1000ca
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Using a volt meter or test light and ground cable at the battery disconnected, connect the meter( most accurate) or test light inline between the neg bat post and the terminal and read the voltage. Start pulling fuses or disconnecting components to isolate the problem circuit watching for a drop in voltage on the meter or a dimming of the test light. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just told you I have isolated the short to the fuel/ computer module. Unless you know of a component to unhook I'm at a stop. Need wiring diagram and computer diagram. I do know it is not getting fuel and it turns over good with new battery. Fuel shutdown solenoid could be blown cause short and no fuel. Can this module be repaired? All dash lights and indicators are working. High voltage from charger along with bad battery/sudden failure I believe have damaged the computer, seen it before on auto. I too am acredited tech with degrees, need to trace which component computer operates could the the back feed issue. Not alternator checked that. Most likely fuel system.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update Richard. As you suspect the Module itself likely has a short internally. There are companies out there that do ECM repairs but there will still be a problem with programming which has to be done by the dealer if during the repair of the board and completion reveals there is a software issue after. I recommend replacing with new and having it reflashed with the most current updated version of the software. I do not have the pinouts readily available for this ECM but I did find a PDF manual complete for download with your schematics for under 10 dollars. click below for the link.

Manual

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, Did you get this resolved?