Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My Ford 2120 suddenly will not go in reverse and goes

My Ford 2120 suddenly...

My Ford 2120 suddenly will not go in reverse and goes forward in the neutral position, but will not go forward in the forward position. I was looking for ideas. It has fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.

In low, medium or high range, the transmission engages sometimes in neutral. It will not engage in reverse or forward. However, it sometimes will move forward when I put it in reverse after having moved forward in neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?

I once corrected the not engaging at all part by adding fluid. The fluid level now is fine - but perhaps a tiny bit over. Other than that, I was using the tractor daily, and let it sit one day for rain. I did leave it out that day uncovered.

6/8/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What is year model? Engine ? Transmission? The 2120 is made in three versions, early models, late 70's, later model is compact tractor , made in the 80's. I would assume this is the later compact tractor, with a hydrostat transmission with a manual gear box for speeds??

this is a circa '91/'92 Ford 2120 with 12 speed hydrostat transmission. It has a 4 cylinder diesel engine - 34 HP I believe.

http://www.messicks.com/nh/67808?sectionId=9446&diagramId=67808_397039

You have forward and reverse clutch packs, and the rest of the transmission is geared? That is what I see.

Have you drained the oil and looked for any metal in the system? With the shift made by the valve body on top of the front case, this is where I would be looking, unless there is metal in the system. See link.

http://www.messicks.com/nh/67808?sectionId=9446&diagramId=67808_396291

If you had forward, and it stayed in forward in neutral, and Locked when going to reverse, the forward clutch could have failed, but this does not fit the explanation you give. So I think you have broken spring or stuck valve in the shifter assembly.

Okay, I can check that out. I will drain the oil first. I was wondering if this could be related to the Mode Command Selector switch. "The Mode Command selector switch controls the engagement timing of hydraulic clutch packs..." The switch on my tractor is loosely attached to the dash panel (dangling).

Yes, the mode switch can cause erratic shift!

I will check that out as well. Thanks Curtis.

OK> Thnaks

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician