Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

B21 HST wont move in forward or reverse in*****but will move in***** I know the front axle is gear driven so moves...

B21 HST wont move in...
B21 HST wont move in forward or reverse in*****but will move in***** I know the front axle is gear driven so moves with only the front axle. I bought this tractor yesterday and all was good untill I started pushing some smaller trees today and heard a squealing noise at the back and then the troubles began. In*****when you go from forward to reverse real fast it rocks the tractor slightly. Help Please
2005 Kubota B21 TLB
6/5/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Raise the rear of the tractor and turn one wheel manually, the other wheel should turn in opposite direction. If not, you have a broken axle shaft or differential. Turn both sides and feel and listen for noise or roughness that would indicate which side is broken. My though is you have a broken axle shaft on the rear.

I raised the rear of the tractor and the wheels turn opposite of the other and without any roughness. What next?

If you press the axle lock on the right side of the unit, does the axle lock up? While still in the air, Will tractor turn rear wheels with axle lock on? Rear drive only!

Tractor will turn rear wheels while in the air in the same direction with axle lock on but you can stop them by hand after they are turning.

Something stripped between the engine and the rear axle. I thought it may be shaft between clutch housing and transmission, but seems like that would also affect the front wheel drive. I don't see anything that jumps out at me, as to why only rear wheel are affected.

The input shaft from engine to the trans is spinning with engine running and the front axle is gear driven from what I can find on the forums so it seems that the hst is getting power but just not enough. Is there some type of relief valve that could be stuck open causing the fluid to bypass?

HSt drives the front too. so it has to be after the hst. I see this as a sheared key or spline stripped out.

Any idea where or what could be sheared or stripped?

I don't see anything that would be obvious. I think I would remove the three point housing, so you can see the inner gears and then see if you can see where the drive stops, then go from there.

I will probably take it to the stealership and let them guess at it. Maybe they can figure it out.

Let me know what they find!

Ok Thanks

Thank you!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician