Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I have a John Deere 6300 tractor. The battery light came on

Customer Question
Hi, I have a John...
Hi, I have a John Deere 6300 tractor. The battery light came on and all the gauges failed and the hydraulic system and ptosis stopped working. Battery tested good so I replaced the alternator. Battery light was still on and I discovered the 30 amp over current protection fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and all was well, cut for a few hours and it blew again. Replaced and it blew again. Sometimes it will blow shortly after replacing and sometimes you can run for a while. I'm stumped. A mechanic suggest a diode is bad? I can't even find it. Please help. It's an open cab.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
5/20/2016
Mechanic: John Oliver,
 replied 1 year ago
John Oliver
hey Jonathan my name is ***** ***** Ill see what I can do to help you out. these old tractors can be tricky to work threw as Deere no longer supports them. The fuse your talking about is the main fuse under the cab right hand side sitting in the seat correct? One thing to remember when dealing with high amperage fuse issues is that generally heavy loads such as fan motors or intske heaters are heavy draws. You don't have a cab so a fan motor is out. Can you tell me specifically where the 30 amp fuse your blowing is located? also when things are working how does your amp meter act? your dash is it still analog or did it get switched to digital?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's located in the fuse panel, it's called an over current fuse. The tractor continues to run after it blows but i loose all my guages, pto, and hydraulics. The alternator is putting out the correct voltage and is a new alternator. Like I said, I can replace it and it will run for varying amounts of time but doesn't seem like it's a dead short as when a wire is grounding out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a pretty modern tractor even tho it's an 06
Mechanic: John Oliver,
 replied 1 year ago
I agree an 06 is a modern tractor....but if Deere had there way a 2 year old tractor would be obsolete lol. ok give me a couple minutes to sift threw the tech. manual and DTAC and ill see what I can come up with for you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** mechanic mentioned a diode? I don't have a schematic and don't know where it's located. I started pulling the covers off to get to the electronics located on the right side sitting on the tractor but it got dark on me last night.
Mechanic: John Oliver,
 replied 1 year ago
there are some diodes involved yes. sorry...should have asked this before but specifically what fuse? F101?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the F116 30 amp, called an over current protection fuse
Mechanic: John Oliver,
 replied 1 year ago
ok so..... there is a diode in the alternator and also the V105 diode in the fuse box. The V105 would be worth checking with an ohm meter to see if it has failed. The K101 relay may have failed so that would be worth swapping to see f the problem is there. those are the simple things to check. the 082 wire from k101 actually feeds power to the F104 fuse that operates the cicuit to your brake peddle micro switches (attached to your brake peddles) if this unit is 4wd the MFWD should engage when both brakes are applied. So I would start with the V105diode and work my way back. I can email or fax wire schematics to you I needed. attaching here never works
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'm at work now. Will be tomorrow before I can do those checks. Please email to***@******.***. I'll get back with you after I see about those things. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's just a 2wd, I wish it was mfwd
Mechanic: John Oliver,
 replied 1 year ago
I emailed you the wire diagram
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician