Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Kubota L345DT tractor with a fluid leak at the joint…

I have a Kubota L345DT...
I have a Kubota L345DT tractor with a fluid leak at the joint between the bevel gear case and the axle case on the front left axle. I removed the axel case to get axes to the oil seal and removed the oil seal. It looked to me like the oil seal was installed upside down. Also, the seal collar (part###-##-####0) was not present. I received information that Kubota has changed the configuration of this seal and the collar is integral to the new replacement seal but I haven't been able to confirm that on the WEB or from the Kubota dealer. The new seal does have a collar between the two halves. I also talked to the service manager, the parts manager and a mechanic at the dealership. Nobody knew which way the seal should be installed. So my question is which side of the seal is installed up and is a separate seal collar required with the new style seal?
Thanks Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/15/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi Mac, My name is***** will try to help. As a rule of thumb the lip of the seal always goes towards what you are sealing. Bare with me while I look up your seal part number. By chance do you have the serial number of your tractor?
Click on the link below for the breakdown. Let me knowFront axle diagram
You didn't answer my question. The diagram you sent me is a diagram I already have and it does't show which side of the seal is up. You also said the lip goes toward the fluid being sealed. This seal has a lip on both the top and bottom. You also didn't say if the seal collar (part 9 in the diagram) is used with the new style seal that has an integral collar.
Mac
When I signed up on this site I was told that my question was to be given to a Kubota expert. I thought OK he has worked on Kubotas for 30 or 40 years and performed this seal installation several times. He would know exactly how to install the seal. This is a very complex seal. If someone has not previously installed one I'm sure they would not know the proper procedure. I have already gone to the local Kubota dealer and talked to the parts manager, service manager and the mechanic. None of them knew how to install the seal. I believe I'm going to have to call Kubota dealers around the country until I find a mechanic who has performed this seal installation.Mac
Good luck to you Mac
I knew this would be a tough one.
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
# ***** is spacer for the two bearings. You can't use both spacers. You will use just the new spacer, with new surface for the seal to work against. Makes no difference which way the seal in installed! Not sure why Kubota dealer can't figure that out!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Thanks for the information.
Thank you