Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 2008 JD 5103. After I'm working the tractor fairly

Customer Question

I have a 2008 JD 5103. After I'm working the tractor fairly hard for about an hour or so the brakes no longer work. And what I mean by that is that the brake pedals go all the way to the floor. After tractor cools off brakes are more or less back to normal. Only if the tractor is fresh cold do I know that the brakes are ok. I'm suspecting the spool valve is having an issue and thought that rebuilding it would help. A bit of history, At about 2 years of ownership I went and filled the hydraulics and notice that I had grabbed the wrong container and poured about a cup of contaminated hydraulic oil in. I talked to the local dealer and they thought it wouldn't hurt the system. After about a month I notice some "issues". Nothing sever but I changed the fluid and filter, cleaned the screen and repeated about 6 months later.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 1 year ago.
I think you are going in the right direction with rebuilding the spool valve when you get it apart I would check for any cracks inside the valve you problem sounds like when the valve is hot it might have a crack inside that is separating and losing pressure to your brake piston then when it cools down the crack might be contracting let me know what you find out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know of a rebuild kit for this item. There isn't one listed in the JD Parts manual.
No there is not a kit it might just be better for you to replace the valve after looking at the part it is only 67 dollars after you buy o-rings and seals you will be at half of that price
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
67? I saw it for $430. If it's that inexpensive I'll definitely replace it. Where did you see it for $67? Thanks.
Is this same part number you have