Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 3032E diesel compact tractor. I am looking mechanic…

I have a 3032E diesel...
I have a 3032E diesel compact tractor. I am looking for a mechanic that can talk me through this problem.
It started shutting itself off about three weeks ag. It runs fine for a half hour or so, then when running, just goes dead. No gradual off, instant. Turn key off, wait 10 seconds, starts up fine, runs for a few minutes, then off again. Does this until it cools down a lot, then runs for awhile, then does it again. Checked fuel filters, oil, fuel pump, replaced the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, NO LUCK.
I straight-wired the seat safety switch to make sure it wasn't a bad switch, no change.
Does it whether using PTO or not
5/2/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the engine model and serial number? Are you loosing power to the fuel shutoff when it shuts down and the shutoff sollenoid is disengaging?
SN XCH3016D338456X
Model 3Tnv88-BNJTAHOW WOULD I KNOW IF IT IS LOSING POWER? Is there a way to tell? It is running and almost immediately turns off, doesn't seem to be choking out, seems more of an electrical shutoff.
Thanks for the update Al. Using either a test light or volt meter, check for power to the wire energizing the shutoff solenoid. If power is being dropped off there could be a harness or ignition circuit problem or a potential safety switch problem. Check for any other warnings such as low oil pressure, etc. also if power is being lost, check for power in and out of the ignition switch and your fuses and relays. Try swapping relays with a known good one for test purposes. Let me know
I'm not an engine mechanic. I may be able to work through this. Can we talk after 7 am?
Does this engine have a thermostat that might be faulty? Oil pressure sensor that could be flaky?
Also, what fires the solenoid? Starting the ending? I assume it opens when power applied?
Good morning, I tried accepting your call request but there is an issue with payment. Please correct this if you would like a call this morning.
Using a test light or volt meter, test for 12 volts at the solenoid with the key on. there should be power there to light the test light or read battery voltage if using a volt meter. Also it should click and yes open to allow the injectors to fire.
Dan, Technician
I authorized the charfeI authorized the charge. Got a Anex fraud alertAmex
Can you call me now
Call the number I posted.Your number did not post in your contact info.
Fuse and relay charthttp://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU20279_L8/Output/Index.html?tM=HOEngine Runs Rough Or StallsEngine hand throttle lever not pushed forward.Plugged fuel filter.Plugged air intake system.Fuel cap vent dirty.Faulty seat switch.Stale or improper fuel / fuel level / water in fuel.Dirty or faulty fuel injectors.Low coolant temperature. See your John Deere Dealer.Fuel pump not functioning properly. See your John Deere Dealer.Click here for the complete operators manual. Index on the LH side with links.http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU20279_L8/Output/Index.html?tM=HO
I cannot find the relay drawing in the manual? Under which subsection? Page number?
Service electrical section ( Replacing fuses)
Hey Dan, No luck yet. I need more help. We straight wired the solenoid for the fuel shutoff so it is always Open, tractor still shutting off. No change in behavior, so it is not the solenoid.
Thanks for the update. The tractor is shutting down with the solenoid still powered and engaged then check for a starvation of fuel and restrictions or leaks in the fuel system. If the fuel system checks ok and the engine will start right back up I would look into other internal mechanical problems pulling the engine down under a load. Is this instant like you turned off the key? does it act like something is lugging the engine down under a load? I have heard of internal PTO problems causing this. Let me know
No strain on engine. Just like key shut off.
But there is still 12V power to energize the shutoff solenoid and it still acts like this?
I hotwired solenoid straight from battery
The problem then has to be internal in the injection pump if the solenoid is not kicking out and confirmed it is engaged to the on fuel position when this happens.
Exactly my feeling. There is no other cutoff through one of the other switches? Can you confirm for me that all cutoffs through switches, safeties, etc all happen by turning fuel off using solenoid? Then we can be done. Thanks
it is the fuel shutoff solenoid that shuts off the fuel to the injectors and only that. Pleasure to help