Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Kubota b6200 front wheels only turn,back wheels locked, everything…

Kubota b6200 front wheels only...
Kubota b6200 front wheels only turn,back wheels locked, everything looks normal on inspection. Is this a quick fix I don't see, or is the tractor beyond repair?
They are not "locked" wrong word, they just roll only no gears turning. They don't run but the front wheels do. It's odd. Wasn't doing anything but regular plowing.Heard a high pitched "ping" when I let off the clutch a little.
4/15/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Raise both rear wheels off the ground, and turn one wheel by hand, the other wheel should turn in the opposite direction. If they do, axles and differential are good. If not, listen for noise and feel for damage, check the other wheel. Broken axle usually can be felt. I suspect you have a broken axle shaft.
Thank you! Will try your advice tomorrow morning and let you know how it went.
OK> thanks for reply!
Okay, we did jack up the back of the tractor, we tried spinning the wheels independently, both in gear and neutral. Spinning one wheel didn't have any influence on the opposite wheel. The left wheel, made a soft flapping sound (like flap, flap, flap) and the right wheel sounded like it could be engaging some gears?
I would check the left axle!
Okay, will do, we are losing good light, but will go try. Thank you. (:
Housing has to be removed from the center housing.
Well, we went out with the light to get checking the axle, and the differential peddle/lever is completely stuck and now none of the wheels are going?
Just looking , I see there is shear pin on each rear wheel, where axle pins to the outer wheel hub! Could pin be sheared? and axle not turning, spinning in the wheel?
Wow, okay, great, will go check.
ok
The hexagonal section of the axle is exposed and turning with the wheels.
Good morning , I would check that left axle. There is a problem in the axle/rear end, as the wheels should have rotated in opposites when turned by hand. They would be connected by the side gears in the differential. I looked at the parts book, and could not identify the parts for the axle lock, but it would not affect the two wheels turning in opposites!
Will be looking today. Had to take two days off while we dealt with a serious ear infection in our five year old. Will let you know this morning if any "eureka" moments happen today.
OK>Thanksfor reply.
Started to remove the wheels and fender and noticed that the brake pads are on the transmission side and above the axles, and the breaks still work. This means that the axle and the next two gears are all intact.
Sorry , lost internet connection due to weather! That just means the outer shaft is good, up to the brake!
yep. removed the left axle and gears. found the remains of a gear (maybe 3" across with angled teeth) in the center of the case. cant see where it came from but think maybe if I remove the top of the case (under the rear implement lifters). do you have another diagram for this area?
Rear end!
Sorry for late response, weather has Had my Hughesnet all evening! Big Rain, Texas
Totally understand weather. We have been stuck indoors all day. /: Hopefully can go finish looking tomorrow.
Just saw the news. How horrible. Sending prayers to you and everyone in Texas.
Thanks for all your prayers! Much better today!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
You've been great. It was the differential gear. It needs to be rebuilt. (: