Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

My deere 317 is pumping out diesel i can't locate where

My john deere 317...

My john deere 317 is pumping out diesel i can't locate where from.'

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.

It is not the fuel water separator or anything on top of the fuel tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?

Fuel is draining from the oil drain access port on the side by the tire

3/30/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

317 ? Skidsteer or???

I will assume this is the skid steer. If limes are not leaking at fiter or down side of engine, and no leaks on top of the tank, y may have a tank with a cracked seam or a hole in the tank. Does engine run ok, no missing or hard to start and looses prime? Tank or fittings at the tank are real possibilities. Best to give it good cleaning and try to follow fuel back to it;s source.

It ran after i primed it, stopped hard earlier in the day. I waited a few hours then started it again and noticed fuel leaking from somewhere down low317 skid steer john deere

If it lost prime, the suction line from tank to the primer/filter may be the leak.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I will have to remove the lines and fuel tank tomorrow, then will trace to the engine. I think the suction line is between the tank and the manual primer on top of the filter. I could not see anything leaking there, and it was leaking very fast from somewhere, maybe under the fuel tank or at the engine. I guess I will just take everything I can off the machine to try to locate the leak. It only leaks while running so it must be something that applies suction or pressure when running.