Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a Deere tractor 5085M with category 2 3-point tch…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere tractor 5085M with category 2 3-point hitch with Quick Connect bar. I am interested in buying a used JD7100 planter for planting soybeans. The planter is 3 point hitch (no lift assist wheels) and seven (7) Max Emerge row units on 15 inch centers. Each row unit is very basic with weight determined by its: Yetter row cleaners (30 lbs), seed opening disks (15 lbs), gauge wheel assembly, row unit frame, and closing wheel assembly/wheels (15 lbs). The planter's frame is an 11' long tool bar with hydraulic-operated marking arms.
I do not know the weight of this planter.
Can my 5085M's 3-point hitch lift and effectively operate with this 7 row planter?
Thank you.
Mark ***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please call me. ***
Thanks.
Mark ***
3/18/2016
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Bradley Martin

Hello the max weight on the 3 point is 2.9 tons and the planter weighs around 5,000lbs so you should be ok as far as weight goes let me know if you need more info and sorry I can not call you right now

I paid $75 for the answer, so I just want a bit more information.
Thanks.
Mark
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

https://www.deere.com/common/docs/products/equipment/tractors/5_series/brochure/YY0914160_E.pdf

The first link is the max weight on on the three point hitch it is on page 25 of the PDF document

The weight of the planter was by estimate of a John Deere field service tech let me know if you need any more info

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician