Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

My name is ***** ***** I have 2 cummins 6CTA8.3-M engines

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have 2 cummins 6CTA8.3-M engines they both stall when maneuvering from forward to reverse or vis versa, they idle at 600 revs but they still stall at 700 revs. I just put new shaft seals in, the boat reaches top speed ok.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: fuel filtrers have been changed no excessive smoke. engine sounds like it is not getting enough fuel and stalls when it goes from neutral to gear.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Install clear hose on the suction and return side of the fuel system to see if you are getting air bubbles from a leak sucking in air and verify you have no restrictions and good supply pressure to the pumps. Let me know the results. When they stall do they stall like they are starving for fuel or instant like someone shut off the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan they stall like starving for fuel.
Like letting the cluch out on a loaded truck and not increasing the revs causing the engine to stall.
Steve
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve, Thanks for the update.... If there are no restrictions between the tank and pump or leaks sucking in air, check for a faulty lift/transfer pump. Click this link and see PDF page 193. Let me know