Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Power take off turns slowly when engaged but you can stop it…

Customer Question
power take off turns slowly...
power take off turns slowly when engaged but you can stop it by holding on to it with your hand. was tilling in hard ground when it stopped working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/18/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Don, My name is***** is the year make and model of your tractor?

It sounds like most likely you are looking at a worn/failed PTO clutch and it will have to be replaced. Look for signs of metal/friction material in the PTO housing indicating a failure. Let me know

Let me know the make and model tractor if you need more in depth help