Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

, i bought an old ford 445a tractor a few months ago.

I bought an old...

I bought an old ford 445a tractor a few months ago. last week during the snow storm it busted a hose (I think) in the backhoe boom

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.

I'm going to disconnect the backhoe hydraulics and fill the fluid to get the front working again before fixing the back

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?

Question is... i see 2 fill holes on top of the rear axle. but according to the page i'm looking at, those are for the axle. want to know fill location for hydraulic reservoir

follow up questions...
1. does the axle take different oil than the hydraulic reservoir? I poured some in what I think is the axle reservoir (2 large fittings behind the seat).
2. do the hydraulics need to be bled after I add fluid?
2/5/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Maybe I can help!

sure. if you prefer phone, that works too... i'm not at the tractor right now though

Te tractor uses only one type fluid, the Ford New Holland 134 type hytrans fluid.

that is what I poured in :), so that's good. Just in the wrong place I think

Hydraulics do not need to be bled. They are self bleeding.

Transmission and rear end are same reservoir.

ok, in this pic, I poured the fluid in one of the two bolts on top http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/321507712166-0-1/s-l1000.jpgclearly not right, but it was in 30" of snow. lol

Some models use the front loader frame as a separate hydraulic reservoir, do you see any hoses going to the large uprights for the loader frame?

I will have to check on saturday. i'm not at the tractor now. besides the front end loader frame, where would it be?and if it is the front end loader frame, where is the fill?this is the first time i'm using this service, if I post back on saturday, does it come to you or someone else?

Either of the holes would work, and you likely also have a plug on the transmission shift cover you could also use as fill point.

If loader frame has the two hoses, one suction and one return, it will have a pipe plug, up about three quarters of the way up, and this is the fill port, you would need a funnel to get oil in it.

ok, i'm going to try to find a picture of it online. one minute please

http://www.messicks.com/nhc/68491?sectionId=3934124&diagramId=68491_746607

Looking at 445A, your loader frame does not have reservoir. Uses the transmission/rear end housing for reservoir.

ok so I poured it in the right place?

Yes, that is ok.

at the time I was on a hill, stuck in snow. I poured about a couple quarts in, then checked the level plug on the side of the tranny. plenty coming out there (it was pointed downhill, so not exact, but definitely fluid in there)

Do all functions work?

shortly after totally lost pressure (like about a minute of operation). hydraulics make noise but hardly lift. I stopped using immediately, figuring I will damage the pump

http://www.messicks.com/nhc/68491?sectionId=33698&diagramId=68491_396708

See link, # ***** is the transmission dipstick and best place to fill, unless you have cab. Check fluid level there.

I don't know how much oil you lost, but a couple of quarts is very little in a system that holds close to ten gallons.

I see, I will try that. do you know what total fluid capacity is? and is there a good substitute for ford 134 fluid?last time I had to go to a new holland dealer to get itok, you just answered the how much question :)

You can find an equivalent at any tractor supply, or auto supply for the Ford 134, just look at the specs on the oil container.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
ok. thanks.

Thank you!