Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Antique Deere LA has gear shift stuck and unable to shift…

Customer Question
Antique John Deere LA has...
Antique John Deere LA has gear shift stuck and unable to shift into gear. Not sure what gear is engaged. When clutch is released the tractor dies out under its own power. How can one unstick the the jammed gear shift?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/31/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Remove the gear shift housing and see if the inner gears are locked or it is in two gears at once. Trying to do it without removing the housing will not work.

If you raise the rear wheels and turn one wheel, does the other wheel turn in opposite direction, or are the wheels locked?