Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

1943 Allis Chalmers C - Restored Engine and other mechanical…

Customer Question
1943 Allis Chalmers C -...
1943 Allis Chalmers C - Restored Engine and other mechanical parts about 1 year ago. Drove the tractor about 50 miles total, and I started to notice a slight noise coming from the area where the torque tube enters the transmission. The noise got steadily louder. It goes away completely when you push in the clutch. I've noticed that in the book there appears to be a universal joint in that area. This noise does not affect the tractor in any way I can find. The transmission seems smooth.
Do you think I should try to fix this, or find a different rear end to the tractor, as these tractors are not particularly expensive and are in plentiful supply. My only my indecision is that I've already painted and put brakes on it and would have to remove all that and put on the new tractor.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
1/30/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

This is foot activated clutch and not a hand clutch. This sounds like a bad throwout bearing! Did you replace the throwout bearing when you had tractor apart? Seems like a simple repair, just have to Split tractor and replace the bearing.??

I would repair, not replace the tractor!

I don't understand how it could be related to the throwout bearing as the noise goes away when you push the clutch in, which engages the throwout bearing. The noise only happens when the clutch is out. Could it still be the throwout bearing?

Yes, I hear your point, but it still can be making the noise. Did you replace it and the pilot bearing/bushing in the flywheel?

No, the clutch worked fine when I got it so I've never touched it.

Then I suspect problem is with the clutch /throwout bearing area. I would do nothing until you check it. I think there is an opening in the clutch housing you can peek through. See what you can see, and give it a good dose of WD40 on all the moving parts and see if noise changes.

I'll do that and get back to you. Thanks!

OK, thanks!

Curtis,
I won't be able to try your suggestion for a few days. I do have an inspection hole and I plan to put the tractor up on stands so the wheels can turn, but I need to be able to have my garage door open and we're getting ready for a big snow storm. I'll reply as soon as I can. Thanks! Kevin

OK, Thanks again. Let me know what you find.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician