Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 04 310g Deere w 2400 hrs. I've never had a starting…

Customer Question
I have a 04 310g...
I have a 04 310g John Deere w 2400 hrs . I've never had a starting issue I'm in Md where we have just received 2.5 ft of snow fall. The engine cranks fine however won't stat sounds like it going to but doesn't. I'm a mechanic and service cars lt trucks daily to Me it seems as if it's flooding or its just too cold . this tractor doesn't appear to.have Glow plugs but instead a air heating grid ? .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
If the response is hours from now use this email***@******.***. Thanks
1/25/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Just has the air heater grid for cold start. Do no use starting fluid with the grid heater! Is the grid heater working? Is it getting voltage? D NOT use starting fluid on engine with grid heater.

You can use a propane torch to heat the intake air, in the old days , on worn engines, and in extreme cold, they would use a burning torch and let the flame be sucked into the intake to warm and start diesel engines. Anyway to get the cylinder temperature up to where the compression ignition will fire the diesel fuel.

And you can add a block heater to help cold start.

I Heated with propane torch the fuel pump lines and injectors I also put two 500watt spot lamps top and bottom for hours w-o luck I will need to check to air grid tomorrow .

Use the torch in the intake. Might have to take hose off from air cleaner to get close to the manifold.

Would this be done while cranking the engine ?

YES, while cranking!

It's currently 10.20 I will try this Monday afternoon ( can I return to this post to give you the results after ? )

SUre, let me know, there should be link in email to get back.