Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a deere 4610 tractor. It has run perfectly up until…

I have a john deere...
I have a john deere 4610 tractor. It has run perfectly up until now. 650 hours on it. I parked it yesterday and now it won't start. It won't turn over. When I turn the key the dash lights turn on and I think I hear the fuel solenoid click on. It was due for a new battery, so I changed it out. So the battery is strong. I need some help figuring out what is wrong with it.
1/4/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. With a test light test for power to the starter solenoid small S terminal wire while the IGN switch is in the cranking position. If there is power there and all your connections between the battery and starter are good with a new battery, there is a problem with your starter solenoid and starter. If there is no power there the problem is between the IGN switch and starter. Check all fuses and relays including power in and out of the IGN switch. Let me know

Thanks Dan. I'll try that tomorrow and get back with you on how it works.

Pleasure to help

Hi Dan. It was too cold here to work yesterday. Today I went ahead and took off the starter just to be sure there wasn't a problem. I had it tested and it spun up just fine. I put it back on and used test light on the white wire and got nothing. I went back to the ignition switch to begin tracing it out and I had power coming off the ignition switch when I turned it to the start position. From there according to the schematic it says it goes to f5 fuse. that checks out fine. Now I am looking for the neutral switch. I'm having trouble locating it but power should flow from there through the K2 start relay then through to the white wire. If you have any idea where the electrical contacts are for the nuetral switch I would appreciate it.Oh yeah, my seat switch has been giving me trouble for a while. Bare wire showing on the leads going to it. So I just cut it and tied the two leads together. That should make it permanently closed and a non-issue correct?

Hi Barry, Yes connecting the two wires will complete the circuit for the safety switch for test purposes as long as there is no other damage in the wiring. Here is the parts diagram and descriptions.

Wiring Harness

CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.REMARKS

1......Wiring Harness1Main, 10 Pin Connector To HST Harness; ORDER LVA12785; ALSO ORDER LVA12198; HST Harness

LVA12785Wiring Harness1Main 12 Pin Connector to HS T Harness; SUB FOR LVA12194

LVA12785Wiring Harness1Main 12 Pin Connector to PR T Harness; SUB FOR LVA12194

LVA12785Wiring Harness1Main 12 Pin Connector to SS T Harness; SUB FOR LVA12194

2......Terminal1(STARTER SOLENOID)

3......Terminal1(RH HEADLIGHT)

4......Terminal1(LH HEADLIGHT)

5......Terminal1(MANIFOLD HEATER)

6......Terminal2(FUEL GAUGE SENSOR)

7......Terminal1(COOLANT TEMPERATURE SWITCH)

8......Terminal1(ALTERNATOR)

9......Terminal1(ALTERNATOR)

10......Terminal1(FUEL SHUT-OFF SOLENOID)

11......Terminal1(ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH)

12......Terminal2(GROUND)

13......Terminal1(TURN SIGNAL SWITCH)

14......Connector110 Pin; To HST Wiring Harness

......Connector112 Pin; To HST Wiring Harness

15......Terminal1(CONTROL PANEL CIRCUIT BOARD)

16......Terminal1(LIGHT SWITCH)

17......Terminal1(KEY SWITCH)

18......Terminal1(PARK BRAKE SWITCH)

19......Terminal1(BACK-UP ALARM)

20......Electrical Load Center1

57M9152Elec. Connector Housing1

57M8756Elec. Connector Accessory3

21......Terminal1(NEUTRAL SWITCH, SST/PRT)

22......Terminal1(MID PTO SOLENOID)

23......Terminal1(PTO SOLENOID)

24......Terminal1(MAIN PTO SWITCH)

25......Terminal1(MFWD SWITCH)

26......Terminal1(MID PTO)

27......Terminal5(RH TAIL/WARNING LIGHTS)

28......Terminal1(RH WORK LIGHT)

29......Terminal1(SEAT SWITCH)

30......Terminal5(LH TAIL/WARNING LIGHTS)

31......Terminal1(LH WORK LIGHT)

32......Terminal1(TO FUSIBLE LINK)

33 AM124901Wiring Harness1FUSIBLE LINK

34......Terminal1(STARTER MOTOR)

35 LVA13711Relay4ENHANCED TURN SIGNAL, (SUB FOR RE73096)

36 RE262484Diode2(SUB FOR RE153894)

37 LVA13729Relay4

38 57M7689Fuse210 AMP

57 M7691Fuse620 AMP

57 M8163Fuse330 AMP

39 LVU10324Lock16SECONDARY

40 LVA11884Module1ELECTRONIC FUEL SOLENOID CONTROL

41 RE61717Rotary Switch1W/ BODY GROUND

RE183935Key2IGNITION

42 R44342Nut1

43 RE12411Switch1NEUTRAL SAFETY, SST/PRT

44 R26448O-Ring1USE W/ RE12411

45 RE30714Wiring Harness1BRAKE

46 LVA11188Switch1PARK BRAKE

47 LVA12203Wiring Harness1JUMPER

48 R44302Tie Band10

..M93506Conduit1(.413 ID)

Check all your fuses and the safety switch harness and connectors. the diagram should help identifying your switches and relays.

thanks will do.

Pleasure to help

Dan, Technician
Dan,
It was a bad neutral switch. power in one side of it but not out the other. I jumped across and the tractor started. It was a beautiful sound. Thanks for your help.

Great news! Pleasure to help