Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

B2400 was working just fine one day then went to start the

Customer Question
next and it only runs...
B2400 was working just fine one day then went to start the next and it only runs for 1-2 seconds then dies. thought it might be the fuel for some reason so i drain tank, clean fuel filter and replace with diesel. same thing. i unplugged the solenoid stop, resulted in no turnover at all. Can you offer any assistance on what might be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

The fuel solenoid has to be removed or slipped back for test. Unplugging it, will always keep engine from starting. The solenoid has to stay retracted for engine to start and to continue to run! It has two coils in it, one pulls it when starter is engaged, and a smaller coil, that has to hold it when key is released from the start to run position. If it has voltage with key on, and does not stay retracted, the problem is the solenoid. No voltage to it, then relay is bad.

your advice is to remove the fuel solenoid and test it? Is the relay that you're talking about connected to the ignition switch?

The relay keeps the voltage to the fuel ellipsoid, between keyswitch and solenoid, so the voltage does not have to go through the keyswitch at all times.

Yes,remove the fuel solenoid, to see if engine continues to run.

You understand that I can't get the engine to run except for a couple of seconds correct? So I still remove the solenoid to see if anything is different?

Yes, engine will run with it removed. Just slip it back, as you will have to push it back in, to kill engine.

OK I'll give it a try either later this afternoon or tomorrow. Can we keep this line of communication open until after I find out if it's the problem?

Sure, there should be a link in your email to get back. Thanks,

Curtis,I tried to remove the stop solenoid but was unable to do so. my socket will not fit between the housing and the nut head. The socket thickness is the problem. I tried my neighbors socket as well. does not go on the nut head. before i go around the neighborhood, go to the hardware store, etc. Are you reasonably sure that this is the problem? Could it be anything else?

Did you check the solenoid for voltage with key on? If it has voltage, likely it is bad.

curtis,
finally got a chance to test the solenoid as you suggested. i tested the red and black and there was no voltage with key on. also tested white without voltage. So what do you suggest i do now. thanks.

Looking at the 2400, I see no relay for the solenoid, but it does have to have power through the fuse panel. Are the fuses all good? If fuses are good, trace the wires from the solenoid, back, until you find battery voltage with the key switch on. Did you remove the solenoid and to be sure the engine runs?

Fuses all good. checked last week, replaced a blown fuse for instrument panel. i cannot trace the wires on the solenoid very far as they go into what looks like the instrument panel cover BUT i am confused. you want me to check the voltage back from solenoid wires until i find voltage? based on your previous advice, IF i found any voltage then the solenoid was bad. So i am confused as to why i am searching for voltage to the solenoid with the key on? So far I cannot take the solenoid off since i have not found any socket that will fit between nut head and engine. see previous.Last just to make sure. When i tested the wires to the solenoid, i disconnected them from solenoid to test. Correct?please advise.

Yes, you check for voltage at the solenoids harness end, with the key on . You say no voltage, so solenoid is not going to let engine start!

The solenoid shows to be held on with two bolts.??

Here is picture. # *****

Curtis,I am completely confused about your advice. See your responses....and mine in CAPS.1. "The relay keeps the voltage to the fuel ellipsoid, between keyswitch and solenoid, so the voltage does not have to go through the keyswitch at all times. " BUT ACCORDINGLY TO YOUR RECENT STATEMENT IT DOES. "Looking at the 2400, I see no relay for the solenoid, but it does have to have power through the fuse panel." MODEL 2400 STATED IN ORIGINAL QUESTION SO WHY DID WE DISCUSS THIS AT ALL? IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE EITHER THE SOLENOID(WITH VOLTAGE) OR THE RELAY.2. "Did you check the solenoid for voltage with key on? If it has voltage, likely it is bad. " HOWEVER YOU RECENTLY WROTE.."Yes, you check for voltage at the solenoids harness end, with the key on . You say no voltage, so solenoid is not going to let engine start! " WHICH SITUATION IS THE PROBLEM?I hope you can understand how i am confused about your advice. It is contradictory in my opinion and i have lost confidence that you know how to solve my problem.

When you turn the key on, the solenoid should have battery voltage to it. It has to have battery voltage at all times, to keep engine running. It only retracts when the key is turned off, and voltage is off. I know how it works . I may have trouble conveying that thought through words!

Many Kubota models us a relay , so the voltage does not go through the keyswitch. Sorry I did not check before I wrote that!

But words are all we have to communicate with at this venue. No battery voltage to solenoid yet the engine does run for 1-2 seconds as stated previously. So, is it the solenoid or not in your opinion?

If there is battery voltage at the solenoids harness, with key on, the solenoid is bad. If no battery voltage, then voltage lost before the solenoid. Trace the wires back to the keyswitch and look for voltage!

Here is why i continue to be confused with your answers. They contradict themselves. Example...
"When you turn the key on, the solenoid should have battery voltage to it. It has to have battery voltage at all times, to keep engine running. It only retracts when the key is turned off, and voltage is off" then you wrote "If there is battery voltage at the solenoids harness, with key on, the solenoid is bad." Then please explain how the solenoid is suppose to have power to it at all times yet it is bad when it does have voltage? Which is it?

If there is voltage to the solenoid, the solenoid should be retracted, and engine would run. Figure like a switch for a light, you turn it on, (key) , the light does not come on(solenoid) you replace the light bulb, (solenoid)

Do you have battery voltage to the solenoid?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician