Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Here
, Have an 8420 with ccu 72 code. just wondering

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** here Kevin
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have an 8420 with ccu 72 code. just wondering what is causing this. Swapped PTO switch and replaced solenoid. Hope you can help.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Agriculture and Farm Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.

The PTO switch is a three wire switch, 12 volt supply, PTO signal On (goes to CCU) and PTO signal off, (goes to ACU). The code is indicating that the CCU sees the PTO signal as both on and off at the same time. This means that the CCU is getting 12 volts indicating the PTO switch has been turned on while the armrest controller is reporting 12 volts to the PTO off input. Since we know that the PTO lead going to the CCU is working I would suggest we start by checking the armrest controller ACU input. The following steps will walk you through checking the ACU controller PTO off input status.

1. Open the fuse panel cover and install a spare fuse in the vacant spot marked "DIA".
  2. Turn the key to the run position, the corner post should not read "DIA"
  3. Use the turn signal switch as if making a right turn until ACU is displayed then pull the turn signal switch toward the steering wheel to the flash to pass position to enter the ACU controller address list.
  4. Use the turn signal switch as if making a right turn until you reach ACU address 017 or 17 depending on software version.
  5. With the PTO switch off the display should read 100, when the PTO switch is turned to the on position the display should change to 001.

Let me know what you see and I will assist you with the next step in the diagnostics,

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done that Kevin and I get 000 not 001.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok so the armrest controller is claiming that it is not seeing 12 volts coming back on wire 581 from the PTO switch to pin 5 of the 12 pin connector. One common problem is the pin will break off where the wire goes into the connector. I would suggest removing the screws from the armrest and lifting the upper portion up far enough to trace the cc 581 wire from the PTO switch back to the 12 pin armrest controller connector. With the key on and PTO switch in off position you should have 12 volts at the cc 581 wire. Let me know what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Kevin