How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dan Your Own Question
Dan, Technician
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Satisfied Customers: 5408
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and farm equipment - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
Type Your Agriculture and Farm Equipment Question Here...
Dan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you replace the cylinder rod on a 447 backhoe

Customer Question

how do you replace the cylinder rod on a 447 backhoe dipperstick
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Fold everything in ( Arm bucket, etc) and lower everything to the ground while cribbing the arm near the barrel end of the bucket cylinder for support. Move all levers to release the residual pressure in the circuit once the machine is off. sling the center of the arm cylinder with a lift strap and put very little tension but enough to hold it in place to drive the pin out of the rod end after removing the pin retainer. Lift up on the cylinder and then start the machine and retract the rod. Shut the machine down, disconnect and cap the lines, remove the barrel end pin and remove the cylinder. To replace the rod the gland has to be removed from the barrel. It will come out as a piston and rod assembly. Then the piston nut has to be removed to remove the piston from the rod. Then the rod slides out of the gland

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need part number LVA11358 Seal Kit and I recommend replacing the lock nut as well. PT14365 Lock Nut

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any special tools needed
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to anchor or pin the cylinder barrel end to a bench or on the machine. shop bench preferred due to outdoor contamination. You will need a high power 1DR" impact or possibly a torque multiplier to get the piston nut loose. This is usually done on a cylinder bench. You will also need the correct spanner wrench to remove your gland. When you slide the gland and rod assembly out you will have to have a drain pan under to catch the oil. Click this link to access the online parts catalog. Type in your model to access the book for your machine to view the cylinder breakdown.