Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a JD 6810 that when it gets hot looses forward and…

Hi Kevin I have a JD...
Hi Kevin
I have a JD 6810 that when it gets hot looses forward and reverse it has a cab so elec reverser I got a new solenoid and changed the solenoid positions to no effect no lights flash when the fault occurs and the dash read out only half works so reading fault codes is not an option
Hi The relays K210 to K213 seem to get quite hot as-well
11/28/2015
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If moving the solenoids did not move the problem we will need to access the codes to know what circuit the problem is. So the display is out? The other option is having it plugged into a laptop to get the code information and monitor the parameters live for further troubleshooting or repair the display to be able to read the codes. Another thing to check for is a mechanical failure occuring. Check the filter for signs of metal indicating an internal failure occuring. Let me know

Hi Dan
No metal in filters
I presume connecting the laptop requires a special cable ?
Is it possible to repair the display or you suggesting replacement

Thanks for the update. For the display your options are buying new, finding a good used, or contacting an instrument cluster repair shop and see if they would be willing to look at this to possibly fix the display screen for you. Some may be interested. For the diagnostic software you would be better to have the dealer plug into your tractor as JD service advisor software is required and the cables which is very costly and the dealer version is not limited as the customer version is. Here are a couple options that might be interested in repairing your cluster. I would contact them and price your options. Then at least you will have the cluster repaired and will be able to pull your own fault codes.

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

http://circuitboardmedics.com/instrument-cluster-repair/?gclid=CJfnh--mtMkCFU0XHwodPFYEcA

As there are no lights flashing on the dash when the problem occurs will a code be flashed recorded

It is a part of the troubleshooting process to see if there are any codes logged in the ECU whether they are current or historical codes that occurred. That way you have some direction of potential circuits to test out to isolate the cause. If there are no codes confirmed then it could lead to a potential mechanical problem rather than electrical.

Dan, Technician