Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I am looking at buying a Massey 50e 1976. The pto runs at…

I am looking at buying...
I am looking at buying a Massey 50e 1976. The pto runs at low revs but then stops as revs increase. Initially the oil was low in the gearbox but some was added and not run hot but appeared to improve. The tractor has a farmhand loader but not used pto in years ?
11/15/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What transmission? Standard transmission has a mechanical pto.?? Shuttle transmission can have a hydraulic pto.?? Is pto just spinning without power, or will it turn an implement?

It has a shuttle transmission. We tried it in a dealers yard without an implement on. I think it has a hydraulic pto. Initially the gearbox was low on oil but was topped up.It appeared to have power but as machine revs increased it stopped spinning. I have not yet purchased the machine based on this. Can it be an expensive problem to rectify and does the machine need to be split ?

With hydraulic pto , it has a clutch pack in the rear housing that drives the pto shaft.

Seals may be leaking in the pto clutch piston. or it still could below on fluid. As repairs go, it is not expensive, as it can be resealed with splitting the tractor.

Are you buying from dealer or from individual? If dealer ,make them fix it ,Before buying!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician