Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I have a small diesel repair shop. Customer brought us a JD

Customer Question
Hello, My name is***** have a...
My name is***** have a small diesel repair shop.
Customer brought us a JD skid steer model 250 with a 2.9 engine. It has been sitting for over a year. The customer stated it was running fine when last used. One month later it wouldn't start. He and his mechanic friends diagnosed it as having a bad Injection pump and injectors. After they replaced them it still wouldn't start. They brought us the machine and we found low compression. Removed the engine and Hydrostatic pump and rebuilt the engine and installed it. It now works fine.
However during the time from whenever it first broke down till now, the customer and prior mechanics loosened the hydraulic lines to the lift cylinders and raised and lowered the boom unknown amount of times. We were not informed of this as we never needed to raise the boom to perform the engine repairs. We have bleed and primed the system and changed the hydraulic filter and Hyguard oil.
Currently (1) the fluid in the reservoir gets extremely agitated and aerated.
(2) the brakes will not release but the boom and tilt are working but very jerky.
(3) there is one connector with a black and yellow wire on a 2 pin weather pack connector that we are unsure where this goes.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Lambert
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
11/12/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

#1, the hydraulic pump is sucking air, causing the aeration in the oil. Boom and bucket use hydraulic pump, and not part of the drive pump system. #2 & # ***** ,brakes not releasing is solenoid valve not getting voltage, which can be the loose connector you have! Not sure where the connector is, look at the brake solenoid valve for colors.

Curtis,
Thank you for the response. We just verified the brakes are operating but seem to be frozen (rusted in the engaged position). The coil is receiving good voltage and the magnet is strong and the plunger in the valve is actuating.
This machine is used for loading salt in the winter and its only job. It is very rusty in several areas. I believe rust is our problem here in the brake system. I understand what you are saying about the aeration and have noticed that is starting to improve thru running the boom. I think once we get it to move we can finish purging air from the hydrostatic side of the system.
I'm not going to chase the location of the harness at this point until I can get the brakes to mechanically release. Thank you for the information. I will update as soon as I resolve the brake issue and hopefully things will run properly.

Drive nor boom should require bleeding or purging, they should be self bleeding! Let me know, Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician