Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

HELP! Our 30+ year old L2050 will not crank. When key is…

HELP! Our 30+ year old L2050...
HELP!
Our 30+ year old L2050 will not crank. When key is turned, dash lights vome
At times in recent past after persistent jiggling of key/switch engine will turn over snd start fairly quickly. Once started, it runs fine...BUT when we shut it off it's a problem all over again.
Battery checks fine
Getting power to alternator
ignition and battery indicator lights come on brite red
Tractor has original starter and cylinoid
Last Dealer serviced in 2007
Suspect it's a faulty switch/key assembly or starter Any suggestions on how I should proceed, other than calling for field technician visit solution. IOf this is best route will do so. Just like troubledshoot for myself.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2015
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery and voltage to the starter solenoid?

How old is battery? When did tractor last start?

If you jump the starter solenoid, from the battery post, to the single switch post on the same solenoid, does engine crank?

Does glow plug indicator show to work?

Thanks, Curtis! Already feel that the no help "Owners Manual" is replaced with some real knowledge
Have Volt Meter [now with new batteries]
Battery is 1 year old and just checked and fully charged by local dealer; on Monday
Last started.. Saturday week ago past when doing some minor road rake work
Have not tried the battery to solenoid start yet
Glow Plug Indicator Light shines brightly
I guess 1st step is to try direct jump from battery to starter solenoid... Right? Can do this Friday....
Doing this for an adopted daughter friend, but next day to get 30+ miles away to her farm is Friday. Just trying to save her some money that she doesn't have... and frankly, that I do not have either
My primary tractor is a M7040 KUBOTA, and pull my own services except for the 500-600 hour [Service just done by great local dealer/service center] All of my farm and yard equipment is KUBOTA or STIHLSuggest that I try the jump directly to starter solenoid on Friday andf get back to you. Sound reasonable?

Yes,check the solenoid, then if it turns, check the safety switches,seat and pto.

Curtis;
Thank you much! Understand fully. Will give you a tweak when I get back from the farm.
God Bless,
Xxxx Xxxxxx, P.E. [US Army Ret.]

Thank you for your service!

Thanks! Have spent most of the day playing "we were soldiers" chatting with my old soldier buds. Glad it's ALL HISTORY FOR ME. Our young boys in uniform today are really being tested as soldiers & human beings.... the battle field is much more demanding than in my days in the 70s-90s. God Bless them all!

How right you are!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis;I really felt stupid when I finally went by the numbers….. when the jump from battery to starter did not excite the starter at all… went back to basics….Disconnected all ignition wiring and found that the wiring at the starter was caked with rust/corrosion [The culprit!] Thanks so much for your help!Also found that the battery cables were in need of replacement, as each was all but entirely broken in half at the battery terminal end.We got Teresa’s tractor running, and you should have seen the smile on her face… she also hugged the air outta my lungs!Her tractor hasn’t been serviced in over 9 years, although only about 450 hrs. I told Teresa to get it serviced by a pro, and have made a deal with my service crew to take care of her as a Christmas present!Thanks again for your expert advice that led me to the right fix.FYI, could not find any safety switch on the seat or PTO. I found nothing that looked like a safety switch; but knowing Teresa’s dad, he may have disabled it long ago.Regards;

Thank you!