spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types semis,forklifts,farm,fire,ect.
65057319

How do I get the pinion shaft out of the front of the

Customer Question

How do I get the pinion shaft out of the front of the gearbox of a Deutz Fahr Agroxtra 6.17.
Tractor has been split. the clutch has been removed as well as the housing for the front bearing of the pinion shaft. The pinion shaft has been damaged by a seized pinion bearing and needs to be removed in order to be repaired. I would really like to buy a workshop manual but where can I get one?
Thanks
Konrad
Konrad
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Konrad , my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

Would you please get me the make and numbers off of differential as they used more than one size and model?

Is the pinion gear damaged? Reason I ask is ring and pinions need to be replaced as a set.

It may take me some extra time to find a complete manual for tractor, hopefully I can get the manual for differential pretty quickly.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:
1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi SpankyI may have mis-stated the problem. I think I actually meant the spigot shaft coming out of the gearbox connecting to the engine. it is a double shaft with PTO drive and gearbox drive together. It is the inner spigot shaft (for PTO I think) that is damaged. The engine number is *****(###) ###-####. We would like to get the shaft out to replace or repair it.Thanks for your helpKonrad
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Okay thanks for additional info,, so you are saying it is a double shaft pto driven off gear box

Do you have make and model of gear box,, there should be a tag on it?

I have to get grass cut will reply later

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Or drive train (on engine) driven shaft you are trying to repair

sorry you can read this two ways

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Spanky. Sorry, had to work.
The Tractor is a Detz FAhr 1994 Agroxtra 6.17. 6 cylinder aircooled The number that I can seen on the casing of the gearbox is(###) ###-####R. Below that is another line 10 14 10 8. Is it possible to send a picture?. To try and explain again, the shaft we are trying to remove connects the engine to the gearbox. it is a double shaft - shaft within a shaft. The tip or point of the inner shaft fits in the bearing which is in the flywheel. That bearing failed and damaged the end of the shaft. The shaft is double because the tractor has a mechanical drive to the PTO, and the there are two separate clutch plates on the same shaft. One on the inner portion, and one on the outer. The whole shaft - inner and outer seems to be a unit. We actually only need to get the inner shaft out but I would assume that they would come out together. We have removed the bearing and cover at the front of the gearbox but the shaft is still in place. We can see all the gears but don't know where to go to free the shaft. I assume there is a clip or bolt somewhere that is holding it. Do we need to dismantle the whole gearbox from the back to get at it? The is a small plate above the rear PTO shaft that I have not yet removed.RegardsKonrad
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Yes if you can send me pictures that would help a lot more.

To add pictures you should see a paperclip above were you reply to me so once you load your pictures on phone or computer you hit paper clip to find pic and it auto adds to reply.

If you have any problems there should be a Contact us link for customer service

The more pictures at different angles would not hurt,,you can also add just pictures with no reply to me so it goes pretty quick.

Let me know

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Is this the type of gear box you have?

Click here

Once I know what you are trying to remove it will make it more clear.

If you had a bearing failure I have had to use a come along to get out since bearing seizes on shaft but lets get a little more info before we try anything.

Talk later

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Okay Konrad I think I know what all the confusion is,, that shaft is called the input shaft,,

Is there a Make on the Gear box? Or symbol so i can identify box?

Those numbers you gave me earlier do come up,, but on more than one brand name and I would like to find a parts break down so we can see hoe to proceed.

Talk soon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi SpankyThe number at the back of the whole transmission is(###) ###-####RK. Other smaller numbers are 1C-B above the previous number. Smaller and more faint number is ***** 80 6B12. Does that help at all? I can't find any n umbers around the front of the gearbox.RegardsKonrad
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for info Konrad.

I should be able to find out today, I sent another expert the question to look over for a second opinion and his thoughts. just waiting to hear back so you get correct info,,sorry about delay.

Talk soon

spanky

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Konrad, bad news, the entire unit needs to be removed and disassembled, all the ones I find close to yours have keyways and snap rings,the front plate is for changing seal only,, the shaft has to come out the back.

I wish I had better news.

I will still look at a couple other places for a complete manual but I figured at least you can start pulling apart, I would take pictures along the way with phone so there is no question about reassembly,,also mark all gear to gears in case gears need to be timed during assembly,as long as it goes back the same way it will stay in time.

The other expert agrees it must be torn apart.

Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
Thanks
spanky

The deposit you placed will NOT credit me for my work from the web site unless you Rate my performance.
You can still reply to me as many times as needed after the rating...No rating or Accept means I'm not getting anything for my time!
Thank You
spanky