Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1999 Deere Lawn Tractor that won't start. Replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1999 John Deere Lawn Tractor that won't start. Replaced the battery that was ten years old. Replaced the igniition switch. replaced the coil. It has a safety switch on the seat, blade engager lever and brake pedal. Checked the 4 relay switches but still can't get it to crank. If you cross coil you can turn the engine over. How can I find the culprit?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the ignition fuse?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have battery voltage to the keyswitch?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Curtis for responding but as I stated I checked all of the things you mentioned.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you have battery voltage to the keyswitch, you likley have a bad safety switch or connection to it. The seat is the most common one. followed by the brake switch. You say you installed new parts, but voltage test with voltmeter or test light is required to see where you are loosing voltage.