Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

I have a 1966-68? 1650 Oliver gasoline tractor. The points

Customer Question

I have a 1966-68? 1650 Oliver gasoline tractor. The points and condenser were removed by someone else, I am trying to reinstall the points and condenser, that is not a problem, My issue is that I have a third wire that needs to be installed, my IT repair manual shows it as a ground wire but does not show where it need to be connected. It is a Holly distributor, Anybody help me?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The point mounting plate has to be grounded, wire can go on the point mounting screw or the condenser mounting screw.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has two wire eyes on it, the wire is about 2 inches long, I can see putting it on the mounting plate for the points or the condenser mounting screw but where does the other end go
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Wire should go from point mounting plate to the distributor outer housing. do you have an outer screw that would let wire ground plate to housing.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You have wire from coil, to the points, and condenser wire to the points? They are insulated, so only the mount is grounded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked for an additional place to mount the other end but there were only the three screws, one to mount the condenser, and two for the point set
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

All my books show ground from condenser mount screw to ground! . Not sure where else it could go!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the coil to the point set and condenser to the point set, but that does not help me with the third wire. I have no spark at the gap on the point set, I will check in the morning for an additional screw but I am sure there is none. Thanks for trying to help but I am not confident my issue has been resolved.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks.