Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over ten years of expirence in Ag Electronics and Hydraulics
32685367

I have jd 6620 side ll. The rell on the grain head well not

Customer Question

I have jd 6620 side hill. The rell on the grain head well not run fast. We turn the contrl nub up it stays at one speed slow
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.

Most reel speed problems are caused by a restriction at the coupler shut off valves or lack of flow from the control valve. Start by making sure the on off lever or levers the head couplers are horizontal to the hoses, zip tie open if need be. If the reel still runs slow the next step is to check to see if the valve is adjusting. The black reel speed control valve in the cab literally has a piece of fuel line hose clamped to the bottom of it that is clamped on the other end to the control valve. Over time the hose may crack and break causing the valve not to rotate with the knob. if the valve is connected and turning you will feel stops at slowest position and fastest position. If the knob simply turns and turns then the valve is not moving. You can tip the seat up out of the way and remove the cover under it to gain access to the valve (I will note not a lot of access but some). We have also seen instances where the valve adjuster seizes up. If the valve input shaft turns freely and no reel speed changes the next step is to inspect the reel pump drive belt (located next to the header engage electric clutch. Make sure the suction hose is not kinked an leaking. It is very rare for the pump to fail. If you are still having trouble please let me know what you are finding and I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.

Thanks, Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to check in and see if you had gotten your reel problem resolved.
If there is anything further I can do to help you please let me know.
Thanks,
Kevin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kevin.
We think it could be the reel control valve.
We took out the top nut and inspected it it looks tobe in good shape. We lost we might go get a used one. I we have my mecanic check the hoses.
You would thind if the valve was not working it would be in fast mode..m
Any othet suggestion fell free to send me a e mail
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

The reel control valve is really nothing more than an adjustable flow diverter. Basically as you slow the reel down it just diverts more oil back to the reservoir. Typically if the adjustment will turn the valve will work. If you have the valve out you can test it with air. If you put pressure to the inlet and turn the valve you should be able to change the amount of air coming out the outlet port.

Let me know what you're finding.

Thanks, Kevin

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check in to see if you had gotten to the bottom of the issue yet. Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist you.
Thanks,
Kevin