Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 6410 cab john deere that the pto will not run

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 3 days by:
8/1/2015
Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 3 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.
On cab tractors the PTO is controlled by the CCU controller. This means that the controller is looking for certain parameters to be met in order for the PTO to run. We can pull the code out of the display to see what the controller sees the fault to be however one of the below common issues may get you going quicker.
If your PTO turns on for just few seconds and then turns back off then the controller field to see a PTO speed input (assumes it it slipping) or the PTO solenoid current draw was too high. This condition can be narrowed down further by pressing the PTO speed button on the dash and observing the actual PTO speed. If the PTO turns on for a few seconds and the display reads only zero's then the speed sensor is faulty and should be replaced. If PTO speed is detected then the solenoid may be at fault. Inspect the solenoid for any signs of cracking or swelling (moisture tends to make the swell or crack due to internal corrosion). You can also ohm test the solenoid, the resistance should be 10 ohms give or take 2 ohms. If need be you can swap the solenoid with the differential lock solenoid and check to see if the PTO then functions.
If the common solutions did not get you going let me know and I will gladly assist you with retrieving the stored fault code to determine the controllers reason for preventing engagement.
Thanks,
Kevin