Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Kubota L245DT. There is a high/low speed change lever. Broken.

Customer Question

Kubota L245DT. There is a high/low speed change lever. Broken. Have new one. After removing spring pin, old lever will not come off??
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am about to drive to town to find a better gear puller. Does anything have to come out besides the spring pin ? I have already soaked the area with "rust off" lubrication.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the shifter with levers side by side? If so, the cover with the two levers has to come off. and the shifter goes out the bottom!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. You are in the wrong place, with the wrong controls. Between your legs is the shift lever (right) and the pto lever (left). On the left side, outside of your left leg, is the 4x4, 2x4 lever, AND the High/Low speed lever. The hi/low lever shifts the entire range from a high range to a low range !!!!!!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Single lever , held on with a single pin? And can't be moved? You don't have a die grinder or cutoff wheel where you can split the hub still on shaft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course I can move the "knurl" that is still on the shaft. Can grip it with a plumbers wrench and turn it, and work the gears. But to replace the part I need the old off. The handle had snapped off right at the knurl/ring that is around the shaft. The spring pin is out, but I cannot get the knurl/collar off the shaft. It has been there for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, spending hours on it I can get into this impossible place and die grind or cut everything apart, but that is ridiculous.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
would try splitting it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You obviously have no idea about this. Good-bye. And return all of my money. Please confirm the refund.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I realize it is never as easy as it looks from the book! But I do know what you are up against. Just don't break the housing by using a puller . And even after you get off the Knurl, if the new one is as tight, you may have to remove the upper cover to keep from damaging the inside shift fork. I work from home and just try to answer questions ,I have nothing to do with anything else. You will need to contact site for refund.