Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

Craftsman riding mower.

Customer Question

I can't start my Craftsman riding mower. I am not familiar with rider lawnmower but I suspect the fuel filter may be clogged as it sounds just like when there is no gas in the tank when I try to start the engine. Can the fuel filter prevents the mower from starting, or it is likely to be something else?

Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Model number from under the seat? Example 917-12345. When did it last run? Is there fuel in the tank? Os there oil in the engine? Are you using the choke when trying to start? Fuel filter would have to be completely clogged to keep engine from starting. Is battery charge good, and engine is turning at a good rate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was running good a week ago. Battery is good. I use a little bit of the choke as usual. When I turn the key on the motor is trying to start.

I don't see any gas in the fuel filter that's why I think it is the problem.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Try replacing the fuel filter, and at the same time, blow through the fuel line back into the tank, to be sure the line and tank opening is not plugged with debris.