Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

We have a JD 9600 having problems with hydraulics. Separator

Customer Question
pressure light goes on, everything...
We have a JD 9600 having problems with hydraulics. Separator pressure light goes on, everything starts to turn slow and steering won't work.. What it could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
7/23/2015
Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I can help you with your question.The way the system is setup there are two hydraulic pumps on the back of the pump stack. One pump pulls oil from the engine gearcase and supplies the pressure for steering, unload auger engagement, and separator engagement. One common problem we have is the seals failing between the two pumps allowing oil from the engine graces to transfer to the main reservoir. Make sure you check the gearcase oil level using the dipstick. The second most common problem is the pump itself failing causing low engine gearcase supply pressure. I will note that if a pump failure has occurred it is highly recommended that you drain the gearcsae oil and pull the sump screen in the bottom of the gearcase for cleaning. It is rare for the gearcase to develop an internal leak that would lead to the symptoms you describe. Please keep me posted as I would be happy to assist you with further diagnostics as needed.Thanks,Kevin
Is it in that case common that while working, steering disappears and than appears again after few seconds?
We are threshing, things start turning slower and steering disappears, driver slows down a bit and than all functions appear again.
If the oil level is low then those symptoms match exactly. It can also be caused by an air leak in the suction line going from the bottom of the engine gearcase to the pump. Because you are loosing steering (steering has priority) we know the problem is either an oil level issue, oil suction problem, or a pump problem. Keep me posted as I will gladly assist you with further diagnostics as needed.Thanks, Kevin
Hi Kevin,We have fixed that seal, and combine was working fine. Now we have on the same machine a similar problem. Today cutting wheat with lots of weeds, so things are not turning that easy.
In a bad spot the drum got filled up and shutdown machine. After opening concave and pulling out all the weeds and other material from the threshing drum, we tried to fire up the combine again, but now all hydraulic functions are lost. Already BEFORE we start engine the "separator drive pressure" light comes up. After engine is started there is 0 hydraulic functions.Now the interesting thing is that if we switch of the engine and ignition of the combine, while the engine is still shutting down, but combine electronics already shut-off, we are able to turn the steering wheel. So to me it seems some pressure relief valve is draining al the oil somewhere because of that error message.Can you give us some hints of what could have happened?Thanks
What I find odd is that you have NO hydraulics at all. Keep in mind that there are two pumps pulling off two reservoirs running completely independent functions. Typicaly if you have no engine gearcase/steering pressure AND no header controls then there is a pump drive problem. My first thought is that you may have sheared your engine coupler. The easiest way to tell would be if the unload drive pulleys on the engine gearcase don't spin with the engine running. Let me know what you are seeing.Thanks,Kevin
Here is what we have: the pulley is turning when engine is cranking up, once it gets some RPM it doesn't turn. Same when turning off engine..
We have the feeling that on this machine there is a hydraulic clutch between engine and gear case, is that possible? If it would be a simple rubber thing it would either turn or would not, correct?What is function of the valve on top of gear case? I assume that is a pressure relief valve, but can you explain me what it does in which cases?
The valve on top of the gearcase has five functions. One solenoid valve controls unload auger engagement, the other seperator engagement. The valve also has the oil cooler bypass valve and lube pressure regulator. The steering pressure relief valve is also in the valve housing.Unfortunately I can tell you that no John Deere 9000 series combine has any other clutch in the engine gearcase but the seperator engage clutch. The fact that the unload drive pulley only spins on startup and shut down indicates that the rubber coupler that acts as the dampener between the engine and gearcase has sheared. At low rpm the resistance is low enough that the pumps will turn which is why you see the pulley turn. If you pull the turning tool plugs from the engine bell housing (just below the engine oil pressure sender) and find oil on the plug then your rear main or engine gearcase seal caused the coupler to soften and shear. The bell housing cavity between the engine and gearcase is supposed to be a dry housing. At this point I would suggest pulling the engine as it is the quickest to remove. On a 9600 the engine can be slid over enough to replace the coupler however not enough to replace leaking seals. I would also suggest replacing the seperator engagement clutch since you will be right there. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.Thanks, Kevin
That was my thought as well, but my mechanic had some others.. Can you tell me what the part-number of that coupler is?
And can you send me part-number of that sealing in the hydraulic pump? We fixed it for now with some glue, but still need to do the replacement.Parts is a nightmare in this part of the world, so I hope I can find some on the short term.Thanks
HP9363_________UN02DEC99.gifAH117782 The above link will take you to the diagram showing the flywheel with the coupler, the AH number is ***** coupler part number.As far as the hydraulic pump goes I guess I never heard which seal you found leaking. Let me know and I will get you a kit number.Thanks,Kevin
I just wanted to check in to see if you had gotten your combine back up and running? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Thanks,
Kevin
I just wanted to check in to see if there is anything further I can do to assist you. It is important for me to ensure that you feel your question has been throughly answered as I don't get paid until you rate my answer. Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist you.
Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Technician