Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and Farm Equipment Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Agriculture and Farm Equipment

I have a 6140d john Deere tractor going down hill it puts

Customer Question
out white smoke then black...
I have a 6140d john Deere tractor going down hill it puts out white smoke then black smoke then it may die
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2015
Mechanic: Kevin, Technician replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with your question.
There are a handful of different problems that can cause the symptoms you describe. The most common cause is a cracked EGR cooler that is allowing coolant to enter the engine intake. The burning coolant produces the white smoke and when mixed with fuel black smoke. Often you will get a strange diesel knock when the engine takes in a fair amount of water. In addition if this is the case you may notice a ting of antifreeze in the smell of the exhaust and a loss of coolant in the radiator. The second likely cause is a fuel problem. Since the tractor is equipped with a high pressure common rail fuel system the engine controller monitors any fuel issues very closely. When the tractor emits the white or black smoke do you see the preheater dash symbol flash or any other warning indicator come on? Unlike the 6M and the 6R series tractors there is no way to pull engine codes from the controller without connecting a John Deere performance monitor with diagnostic connector or having a Deere dealer connect to it using a Service Advisor laptop. Lastly an EGR valve sticking can cause all three symptoms as well and should set a code on the dash. Again it would require pulling the stored codes to determine if the EGR valve had been out of range causing the fault. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.Kevin
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician