Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a NH TC 40D. Tractor, hydro, and the PTO runs all the…

I have a NH TC...
I have a NH TC 40D. Tractor, hydro, and the PTO runs all the time. I have move the lever back and forth, but the pto shaft still spins. Is there an adjustment in the lever somewhere?
This tractor was pulling my square baler couple of weeks ago when the baler sheered a couple of bolts and the compactor forks got jammed up. That probably put some stress on the tractor pto. I ran the bush hog since and no problems, but after that noticed the shaft still spins even when pto lever is to the off or disengaged position.
Answered in 1 day by:
6/26/2015
Mechanic: dd85, Foreman replied 7 years ago
dd85
dd85, Foreman
First I would like try to determine what may have cause the problem.Do you operate a Bush Hog on the unit?Do you have an over running clutch on your tractor PTO shaft? The PTO lever turns the PTO vale spool. See attached and make sure the Spool ref #2 is turning when you move the lever. If the spool is turning, then the problem most likely will be the PTO Brake or clutch. Both require the removal of the seat and transmission / differential cover. If you would like to attempt this repair yourself, I will send you the information on how to remove the PTO assembly and the PTO Brake.
When you first start the tractor, does the PTO shaft turn then?When you say the shaft is still turning with the Bush Hog on, is that when you first shut it off?
The pto runs whenever the tractor is running.
No, the there is no over running clutch
Yes, I do run a bush hog with this unit. When the bush hog attached, the pto still turns slowly, with the lever to the off position.
Please send any additional info. If this is not too complicated, I will try this myself.
Am I doing any further damage by running the unit now. Or using the pto?
Just went down to the barn.
Yes, the spool turns when I move the lever. Everything is hooked up there. There is no unusual resistance in moving the lever and engaging the pto or disengaging it.
When the tractor is running, there is a noticeable change in sound when the pto lever is moved to the on or engaged position . It is definitely engaging the pto and things are sounding like they are engaged.
If there is some sort of brake within the pto, that seems like a likely source of the issue. How do I fix that?
Can you give me the Serial Number? And if this is a Hydrostat or gear transmission? There is some difference in the repair.Can you give me the Serial Number? And if this is a Hydrostat or gear transmission? There is some difference in the repair.
When you reply with the Serial number,
If it is the PTO brake Stop, I will attached how to change it out.
When Running a Bush Hog the problem is there is so much metal to stop turning the PTO brake will not last.
When repaired I would suggest getting a Over Running Clutch to put on the PTO shaft. Then the Bush Hog can “Free Wheel” to a stop.
You may have to cut off some of the Bush Hog shaft so it doesn’t bottom out.
Serial number 3M29642. It is hydrostatic
Q
Look at this. this is only the "stop plate" replacement if you have to go into the PTO clutch it gets more involved.This is not a correct serial number.
s/n should be like G517550
Ok, this makes sense. Thanks.
What I gave you was for the PTO brake Plate.
If the plate is okay then you will have to go deeper in.
Please remember to Rate My answer.
Good luck
dd85
dd85, Foreman