Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment and rental equipment.
30244710

The belt that drives the water pump just broke on my MF-60

Customer Question

The belt that drives the water pump just broke on my MF-60 H back how with a Perkins 4.248 , how do I replace this without taking half the tractor apart? Is there a two piece belt I can buy?
Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Only big problem is the front drive for the hydraulic pump, belt has to go over it. You have to remove the drive-shaft from either end, or remove the hydraulic hoses on the pump, so belt will slip over it. There is a segmented belt sold, that can be slipped over and back together! Not the best quality, but will work for short time.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.beananimal.com/media/6201/power-twist-link-belt.jpg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your answer, I was hoping for some directions as to HOW to install the new belt without removing the pump. Can the four bolts that hold the pump flange to the end of the crank be removed and a gap that is big enough to slip the belt thru be made by prying ? How about the almost no gap between the fan and the shroud? how would the belt slip between that? What is the deal with that? I see one problem after another with getting a new belt on this machine. I was looking for directions, advise, HOW TO on this problem.
The segmented belt I have found on line average around 40 to 60 bucks and how do I know how long it should be? The old belt is not in two pieces but came off and is stuck between the crank pulley and the case.
Removing the hoses to the pump is not the way to go as it would mean draining the whole system, there must be a better way.
Greg
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The pump flange , with the bolts out, and slipped back, should let the belt slip through. The space between the fan and the shroud will let the belt through. The space between fan and shroud is not all the same, there are close areas and spaces that are further from the fan, to allow belt to slip through. With belt around one blade, you can turn the blade to rotate the belt on. It's not easy, by any means, but it can be done!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't want to seem rude but it seems you have not worked on this machine and advise you give me is after I suggested it. How do you get all the bolts out of the flange? You can't because you need to rotate the crank in order to get the blots out. How do you rotate the crank in order to do this? I figured it out but this is what I needed to hear from you, (how do you get the four bolts out after you loosen them up?) Then you still can not move the flange away for the belt to slip thru, the pump needs to be unbolted and slid forward so the flange can give enough space for the belt, you did not mention this either. The hoses do not need to be removed to do this as you mentioned.
I appreciate this site to find answers to questions about how to fix or work on a machine but in this case you did not help me, I had to figure it out myself and I have educated you on this, not the other way around. I am hoping you do not charge my account for this.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Good for you!